FLAG IDA

• 6 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Good news

My wife seems to have got over the worst of her recent flag ida treatment...thank God. Now 40 days since admission and neuts are up to 0.4. Only now on mild antibiotics and potassium, hoping to be home.e in a few days. This has been very hard I have to say for her but she is so strong and coped magnificently with all that's thrown at her. I am so so proud of .her. probably need to go to UCLH next week for a biopsy but just Hoping she can get a couple of weeks at home before admission there for her allo SCT. I  know the team want to act asap on the transplant but surely they will allow her to recover for a couple of weeks to get stronger and put back the weight lost in the last 40 odd days.

• Nick this is great news, these times are like holding on by the fingertips but this part of the marathon is just about over.

Her team will want her to build up her strength and weight....... but at the same time they may also want to hit when the going is good.

Keep holding on tight my friend.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike

The emotional rollercoaster is a very hard ride to stay on at times. The incredible upset when thing look bleak and then the eurphoria when you get through. I never ever thought that life could be so cruel, but as my son tells me...you have 2 choices, "you go with it or you dont", this is very true and he knows only too well as his son, my grandson was born at 26 weeks and,was in hospital for the first 4 years of his life, he is now a strong young boy of 8 but sadly has not got his speech at all, apart from that he's great.  My son has been very helpful to me and just says it how it is, can seem harsh to many people but to be honest it is what it is!!!!

If they do want to hit it early, I just hope we get a bit of time together, Personnally I think they will look to do this asap and maybe as soon as 10 days from now and she's not even out of hospital yet, although we have been told it won't be an inpatient transfer. .lets  be thankful for small mercies.

Nick

• Hi Nick,

time for all those ‘naughties’ Like cream cakes and so on! All the things we know we shouldn’t eat, but build up a bit of weight ready. Good proteins too of course, and this is a good time for her to get her portions of fruit and veg that she won’t be able to have when counts are at zero, fortunately not  usually too long.. 

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Nick, it is good that you have someone saying it as it is.

As you know both my Allo’s were done down in Glasgow (9 hours round trip from Inverness) and we were away from home and all our family and friends for 4 weeks the first time and 7 weeks the second, so it basically was us two.

We made an agreement that if one of us were having a “pity me party” the other had to give some ‘tough’ love - basically challenging their outlook as we were totally convinced that a positive focus on the complete success of then journey would help the results.

My Respiratory Consultant is a very good friend and he is totally convinced that positivity adds a good 20% to the success of the treatment journey.

Man ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I agree, positivity has a definite place in this, it was also her music that kept daughter going through her long illness, both in playing, touring (with the right touring mates, lots of laughter was a huge boost), listening (noise cancelling headphones were useful there) and even arranging. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Nick, it's so good to hear the positive news that your wife is recovering well from the Flag Ida.   I hope she gets some time at home with you before the transplant.  It would do you both good. 

Love and hugs xxx