Low neutrophils

• 18 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi guys,

hope everyone has had a good Easter. 

Need to ask a question- Katy had her transplant in October as you know, she’s doing very well, has had a couple of spells in hospital with antibiotics for infection but was told her CD4 count was excellent and she’s off most medication. Then today she’s had a particularly bad bout of tonsillitis, pus on the throat, ears etc so when temperature went up she got an appointment at out of hours GP- so when she saw him he said he couldn’t prescribe antibiotics as her neutrophils from her last bloods in Edinburgh 3 weeks ago were less than 1, but the hospital hadn’t been in touch and she was at Glasgow last week and they didn’t mention it- are low neutrophils par for the course in an infection post transplant? 

Obviously my first thought is that something is wrong with the transplant  but I think they can be low due to a virus? Can anyone reassure me! 

I know I’ll get good advice from you guys! 

Judith

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Mum2k

Even in 'normal' people your general immunity is lowered by illness. Get one thing and you are more likely to get something else. It is an unfortunate trick of biology. I guess the body's resources get depleted from fighting the original illness. When I was working I would have some winters when I would sail through without problems and others when I got one thing after another. Stress doesn't help, and of course we can't help worrying after all we've been through.  I had two infections in the early days after my allo that knocked my levels down.

We can't control the air we breathe, just have to be as careful as we can with hand hygiene. My friends think I am a bit mad because I don't like my clean cutlery being put on a {possibly} dirty table before I eat. It has to go on top of a paper napkin. And I avoid food that has been on display in a public area, e.g. a cake display. Perhaps I am being too paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Judith

I,m 3 months post transplant and spent the last month with neutrophils bouncing around 0.01 to 0.66 tops. I’ve had some hospital intervention in that time but been at home . My Achilles heel is neutrophils is always affected first which raises the infection concerns etc so I do understand that worry

Having a count of 1 + seems to me like, good, but I can see you have the the small children infection aspect too. My little germ pot is a collie dog.

Good  luck on your journey

Ray

• Ray - its interesting that due to having an Allo SCT my team have said that my allergy to animals is most likely overwritten by my brothers Stem Cells........ but I don't think I will test this out and will keep to grandchildren as I think they cost less.

Joy

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Blimey Mike, 

wish I could say mine cost less- we have 2 but the one who lives near us - katys - costs us a fortune cos I can’t resist buying her clothes and stuff Joy 

KT’s mum 

• Joy........ we all know that grandparents have blinkers when it comes to how much granchildren cost LOL 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Yea I’m nearly blooming bankrupt! But they’re so worth it- Katy is in another night as it’s mucositis/ thrush she has so she’s having more IV antibiotics- and we have Emilia so currently watching The Gruffalo which is the favourite, then Duggie! We know them all now! 

KT’s mum 

• We did the new Mary Poppins three times this weekend Flushed

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Oddly I've just been having a conversation about things we did as children. I mentioned that I used to climb trees in a ballet dress. My friend's reply - 'well we all did that'.  I guess I wasn't the only one torn between my inner tomboy and inner prima.

But back to allergies, I think I'm suffering from dust in the air rather than pollen. And my skin is more sensitive to anything with chemicals in it. So far I've had a tingling reaction to ready-mixed polyfiller and impregnated cleaning wipes. Think I may have to invest in another packet of surgical gloves.

Tessa