Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Your travel sounds ....errrm eventful.  Really you should think about posting it on social media.  Not that theres anything that they could've done about delays but...lets face it your circumstances surely mean that at the very least they could have paid for the taxi????

Ah your (or your wifes)  birthday May?  When?  Mine is 29th.  Wi

Anniversary for September?   Our too!  20 years on the 5th.   - are you 40 yrs married then?  

For the past ...well 20 years .... we'd always planned to do China on our 20th.  

All booked and partly paid for ages ago and now we have to cancel as consultant says no to travel that far.    I (the wife not the patient) thought we might try travel to Valencia in Spain instead for our Anniversary.   Husband is not convinced it will be "quite the same" but... Consultant may be a bit happier as  it's still in Europe.   They have a ChinaTown (so it's a start!) and thought to avoid germs etc my husband, myself and...the dog ....may drive there and hire a cottage 

*Learning God is in control and every day holds the chance of another miracle.*

• Hi Hope, I love when you appear on a thread as you do bring a smile to my face.

I do admire anyone who has to negotiate life from the seat of a wheel chair, I only did it for 3 months and found it such a frustrating expereance, so I take my tam o' Shanter off my head in recognition ;)

We both don't like arranging holidays as we spend most of our life doing admin and arranging events. So once we have a clear idea where and what we are going to do there is a very good independent Travel Agent that will do everything for us.

Take care my friend.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Oh jaymacabc, China is soooo on my list but when I started talking long-haul holidays with my consultant a month back and I said China she laughed and said 'you are pulling my leg' that was a no then :( but I see there is an exhibition in Liverpool of the Terracotta Warriors until 28th October so my organise a long weekend.

We have never been to Spain but what have seen and read about Valencia it sound great. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Yeah that was our consultants reaction to China too hahah - he actually pulled a face (!!!!). and said.....errrrrm seriously?  NO!!!!

Oh and glad to hear about terracotta warriors in Liverpool now that might just be do-able.  

*Learning God is in control and every day holds the chance of another miracle.*

• Ha, holidays! 

Daughter worried, post allo, that planning for future holidays was a task too far into the future, she felt she could only plan a few days in advance. Her counsellor said ‘if that’s how you feel and can cope, then that’s fine’ 

She can plan a bit more now, and has done just that, she will be away soon on the holiday she had to cancel a couple of months back, this time to Cape Verde.

We’ve been forced to look at disabled friendly holidays since hubs can only walk short distances now, and relies on his wheelchair for outside use. But are looking for a cottage to rent for the whole family (plus dog) for end of August 2019 as it will be our 50th anniversary! Time flies! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• I'm so ready for a holiday, just weighed my golf clubs for the Algarve not going until April! I booked it during my treatment in September, I needed to focus ahead. Shingles gone back to the gym today!

Hubby drove as we had snow last night, I'm not good in snow, I collide with farmhouse walls.

• sue, if you don’t mind me asking , who have you

insured with? i’m hoping to go torrevas end of june, so i will be at the same stage post auto as you will be then x

• Hi Yvonne, this is in Europe? ;).... my understanding (not that I have talked to them) is that Euro Tunnel Insurance will cover anyone going to Europe regardless of your transport used for a good price.

The only two questions you are asked are 1) Are you traveling against medical advice and 2) Do you have a terminal diagnosis.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• ok, that’s good to hear , my daughter got mates rates on an apartment in a quiet area of town , but that was the

only week she could let us have 

• Yvonne a few of us now use euro tunnel holiday insurance, not because its the cheapest, but because its so simple and the cover is not to bad, but do check it meets your needs if you do use them. It was also good to read a post last year when someone had to make a claim and their experience was a good one, as you never know how good the cover is until you need to claim.

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are