Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I saw cardiologist this week. Seems my heart is better now than before I had allo.

• Yes Homealone, I would think that a number will have the same stories. I had Asthma going into SCT - haven't used an inhaler since :)

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

I've still got my asthma but less severe.

• Hi Jay , I've had a similar problem with my son, he lives in the south and I'm in the north, there are times I think he should have rung, but didn't, I've given him the benefit of the doubt as I think he's apprehensive about my illness and in the past year I've lost my eldest brother tragically and my mother, his nan passed away too.

That didn't help me as I felt alone at times, I know on occasion my husband and other family have prompted him and he's phoned with the grandchildren. Not everyone copes with it. I also have a friend who has not phoned or messaged since March last year .

But I've friends and family who have been amazing so I move on with MY life but I'm a different person, I'm grateful I'm well again and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it with the people who love and care for me and the people I love too.

I do hope everything works out for you and your hubby 

• It's a challenging problem in how you take family and friends with you on your SCT journey. We were very fortunate that all our family and friends did grasp the mountain we were climbing especially being 9/10 hours round trip away from home.

With my gazillion clinic appointments and 9/10 weeks in the SCT unit I have made some very good friends and the issue of family and friends does raise its head very often. Lots of folks think their F&F are in some way protecting themselves out of fear, others just can't get across to F&F the enormity of the SCT journey and once you get out of the unit 'there is nothing wrong with you and you look great so what is all the fuss about?'

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

I agree people tend to go by surface appearance. They ask me if my hair is growing not how I feel.

Tessa

• Lol Tessa, following my second Allo SCT I meet up with an old friend. He was obviously not brining up my journey and stayed on the subject of family, holidays..... they were just back from 3 weeks in the USA (I wish)....... even the weather!!!! his parting observation was 'your hair is growing..... what are you using on it?'......... silence, then I replied 'I am not using anything on it'....... solace..... 'oh' he said 'so what's making it grow?'..... silence again.... So I finished the meeting with 'I suppose my body now has the time and energy to allow it to grow after concentrating on 750hrs chemo, 45 radiotherapy sessions, 2 SCTs, 2 times in ICU and a year of recovery'

Yes, not very gracious of me but he did email back after a few days and apologised for not being total prat and not being supportive :)

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• The human race is a funny old bunch sometimes. Your posts about hair and appearance reminded me about how different everyone at work has been with me since Christmas. My hair has been growing back all through 2017, and I decided what the hell, i’m going to grow it long. Not in a fashionable way, i’m just going to let it do what it wants to do. 

Well, it was a bit of a mess, so over Christmas I decided to have it tidied up a bit. Since then, the amount of people who have come up to me to say I look really well has been puzzling. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very nice of them to say, but the reality is I am no better than I was for several months pre-Christmas (and they didn’t tell me I looked really well then). So I can only conclude that the haircut has made all the difference to my health!

I just smile and thank them for their kind words.....
  • Haha, that just shows how much appearance means to people! 

I guess it shows that humans are shallow! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember

Good morning my big pal

I'll speak in English today because that's where I am, Peterborough to be precise. Eventually, but what a journey 

Got to the airport in Belfast International about 2 and a half hours early and straight to the Assistance desk, identified myself and was then told that there was going to be a delay, about 1 hr 20 minutes meaning I was going to miss my train from Stansted to Peterborough! That was the last direct train, the next ones would mean two changes and costing up to around  £60 as my ticket was only valid for one particular train. So then to the Easyjet desk beside to see if they'd pay for a taxi because that's what cross country trains do when I'm going in the opposite direction if the train is cancelled. Taxi ordered and paid for. No problem. 

Well , the Easyjet girl on customer service looked about 18, sporke like a 7 year old and said that because there was a delay of only 70 minutes there'd be no taxi. So then I said that not only was I in a wheelchair but I also had terminal cancer and that wouldn't look good on paper, and the best way to avoid that would be a taxi. 

Long story short, supervisor, no, through security, longer delay , no customer services, more delay eventually flight leaves at 19.30-2 1/2 hrs late. Next train would have meant after 2 changes we'd have arrived at 2 in the morning! Thank goodness my daughter drove down and picked us up.

Wow tell you what, you've been through a lot! You must glow in the dark but I'm sure you must have been told that a thousand times. Was your "friend" not a total prat, almost a total prat? And you told me where the edit button is lol 

Really hope you can get to the USA or Canada because if anyone deserves it,  you do. Remember you said that it was patients only in here?  Surely you are wearing two hats!, a patient's and a cc'so or whatever?  

It's your wife's 60th this year? Mine and my wife's, April and May respectively. And your 40th anniversary soon? Ours too , next year, September. Quite a coincidence. Yeah? 

Not sure if we're going to do anything. I'm not sure about booking anything in case I'm having a sickness period. We'll see what happens closer to the time. 

Take care my friend