Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Hi everyone,

This thread has got me thinking about the paradoxes and contradictions of the post-SCT experience. I have just come back from the GP with what they think is "Pityriasis Rosea" (basically a rash that starts going a bit wonky). Probably brought on by an infection or something like that.

I have already resigned myself to my immune system being a bit rubbish now, but it seems I may be working myself through the alphabet of all known illnesses to the human race, which is a bit frustrating. I sat there for a minute in the car and thought, this is quite rubbish.

But then I remembered all the people on this forum having such a tough time, and I remembered how I yearned to be so lucky as to be dealing with "only" stuff like this. It then reminded me of the common phrase about living in the moment, and how over time, that begins to stop working. When I was suffering with acute GVHD and thinking I was reaching the end, the thought of living in the moment was an incredible thing - it focused my mind on the here and now, the very second I was experiencing, and it really helped. It's just now, two years on, it doesn't work so much - I don't think a human is designed to think that way - for sure, I would have run out of money and probably would have keeled over a long time ago if I did live by that mantra!!

So I think of this post-SCT experience as filled with so many paradoxes and contradictions. I am so thankful to be alive, I am so amazed at what medicine can do, and I've met so many amazing people that I wouldn't otherwise have met. On the other hand, the SCT has meant that my body can't, and probably never will again, keep up with my brain. Which is a bit upsetting.

But onwards and upwards I say, I'll plaster on the steroid cream and some weird ointment I have been given, and just think it definitely beats being six feet under!

All the best everyone,

Greg

• Great reflective words Greg........ When my mind starts to wonder I look at the pictures of my four Granddaughters and it brings my mind in to line with 'its great to be in the moment'

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Moomy, pity about her pulling out of work :(

My team have said that if I could be open to being on Penicillin it would make the winters a lot better.

The one thing I have not picked up from my brother post SCT is his hobby of keeping pigeons :) :) :)

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• That last remark made me grin, Mike,

We did wonder if having a German donor might pep up daughter’s GCSE knowledge of that language! (no, it hasn’t!) 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Moomy, now this came direct from the SCT staff. A lady SCTite was a few days post her Allo and she started complaining about the smell of burning.This went on for a couple of days but as you expect the hospital was not burning down and no one had burned the toast ;)

Later on during the send day the staff were looking through her file and looked at the details of the Ladies donor, he was German and he was a Fire Fighter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi all thought I'd give an update 7 months post SCT, saw the Consultant yesterday no lumps or bumps anywhere, bloods thankfully,after that total shock are very good, I'm still only 8st 3 I've been to Corfu for Easter and then golfing for a week in Portugal I jumped on the scales hoping for the odd ounce but no. Full English every morning and two croissants jam and butter eating out every night too for a full week

All my medication finished on March 30th. 

So I'm still left with sore muscles and aching bones and pain from the shingles, about every six weeks I feel slight nausea for a day then it passes. My body temperature as sorted itself now and I no longer wear double clothes and a hat. I now need to wear deodorant and shave my legs, why does the hair come back in the places you don't want it to! All this is manageable. It's not stopping me for doing things I like, Zumba and golf and living a normal life.  I'm off to Hertfordshire Friday to see the twins then back Sunday to pack and return to Corfu for some warmth and sun. 

So happy I got there SCT was worth it though not easy by far . Hope this helps others.

• Hi, Sue, 

So great to hear your news, but given your levels of activity I’m not that surprised you’re not putting on weight! Golf? Zumba? Oh my! 

Take care and don’t forget the sun cream! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Ah Sue this is a great post as it does being the positives clearly into focus when looking at SCT.

Enjoy your holidays xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Got the sun cream Aldi 30, I'm not a sunbather thankfully as you probably guessed can't stay still long enough! But golfing I'm out for 4-5 hours with hubby. Plus as an X international swimmer I'm in the pool for a few lengths.  Loads of eating still off alcohol depends if it tastes very acidic. Hope the uk weather improves here for everyone 

• Hi Sue, the sun is out up in The Highlands for a change ;)

I have taken a note of the Sun Cream as I will have to go get some as for the first time since May 2013 my team are allowing me/us out of the UK to find some heat and sun so our first journey is Madeira.

But I have to be very careful due to the 16+ years skin treatments and the 45 sessions of radio therapy but I will look just like a local as I won't go around with the rolled up trousers, string vest and hanky on my head ;) ;) ;)

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge