Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• It sounds like a great experience and it's only the musician that will notice the 'bum notes'  

I played Double Bass in my early years then we could not afford one after school so had to give it up :( Our school music teacher took us to see Yehudi Menuhin playing a Bach Violin Concerto. The teacher gave us all a score to follow and said pick out the notes his missed ;) I gave up after 5mins and just was captivated by the sound and the skill. One lad (the only one that had followed the score) at the end announced 'he missed three notes!!' ......... he never watched him!!!!!!! :(

Big warm and encouraging ((hugs)) to her immune system xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Hello Moomy

That's excellent news, that someone can regain their old skills and stamina again to such a high level. 

Tessa

• Hi Tessa and Mike, 

Her consultants reckon her music has saved her life, she has played and performed throughout her treatment apart from when she had a central line in. 

Even while going through her initial chemo she was playing with the touring West End show 'Chicago' which she went back to every alternate week when she felt able. 

Touring with Seal helped her following her allo, he was so supportive. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Heck, 

Poor lass has another cough and ear infection! GP is monitoring carefully, seeing her again Friday unless SOS, she is seeing immunologists tomorrow. GP wants them to hold off on long term antibiotics as he really needs them to work fully if she needs them, will see how things go. 

Have suggested ideas for home remedies too plus to keep an eye on temp. 

I suspect the stresses involved in the concerto have taken a toll!

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Ah ((hugs)) to your lass and it goes to show how fragile the system is post treatment. All power to her team to keep her 100%.

I was to see my GP today (I go every 6 weeks). She is my new GP after my GP of 27 year retired but he had done a good handover to her and it great that she comes in having spent some time in Heamatology and SCT so totally gets me.

I had a tummy/sick bug start of last week and it took 3/4 days to get through it, my wife was up and running after 24hrs it just shows how fragile we can be.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Latest news from immunology dept appointment is no maintenance antibiotics (they want to be free to use them if she needs them!) and they are going to test her with a small dose of penicillin to see if she can take it; a booster of pneumococcal vaccine (her chest X-ray suggested she was on the verge of pneumonia again); and they are going to apply for immunoglobulins. 

She also is borderline flu (had a dizzy spell while seeing the consultant, glad she had her partner there with her!) and has been sent home to rest! 

Bless the lass, a continuing worry really....

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• This is on top of what you are dealing with moomy.... big, but gentle ((hugs)) all round. 

My team are still tying to get me off my two remaining antibiotics but my blood tests always say no :(

I will be very interested to see how she gets on with the Penicillin test as I turn red and itchy with it so its a no go but my consultant said that down the line it would be worth testing me as my brother is not allergic to Penicillin and my Whole Blood Lymphoid and Myeloid Lineages are 100% Donor :)

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Sorry to hear about the problems, but hope they resolve themselves soon. I have been on penicillin and acyclovir since transplant 10 months ago. They tell me I will be on penicillin permanently.

I've just had third stem cell 'top up' (DLI). I asked when they would let me do gardening again and they said when I get two normal CD4 results. But they only do them every three months, so will be out of bounds for this summer. Very frustrating to not be allowed to indulge in my biggest passion. I have help to keep it tidy but its not the same as doing it yourself. Also had strong telling off for not using sun screen even in cloudy weather.

Tessa

• Tessa you are doing amazing ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• You are still doing amazingly well though, Tessa!

Mike, I too will be interested in the penicillin test as yes, again she had a rash with it, but it was before her allo and her donor says he’s not allergic to anything. 

She’s pulling out of work for at least all this coming week, a real pity. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy