Ideas for your checklist

• 123 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi all, especially anyone facing a hospital stay, 

Please feel free to add to this list! 

In hospital for a transplant you may not feel much like reading or concentrating a lot, so.....

Trashy tv, films on iPad or DVDs

Favourite music, comfy headphones

Magazines

Favourite duvets/pillows, plus plenty of changes as daily laundry will be needed

Comfy clothes, nightwear and dressing gowns/onesies, slippers

Plenty of underwear changes

Favourite hand cream/lotions bearing in mind you might not want them afterwards because of association! 

A few photos/posters to put up with blutack.

• another bump for those new to the group and to help Cog find it

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • Thanks, John, was just about to do just that too! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Great list. I've saved the thread to my bookmarks now, so I can revisit closer to the time.

Just a few questions.

How sensitive to infection are you while in isolation? Would it be a good idea to bring antibacterial wipes and make sure stuff like laptop keyboards get cleaned before and during the stay?

Are there any things that you are not allowed to bring in? I've been getting into yoga and it would help me stay sane if I could bring my mat and do a little each day (if I'm up to it...).

Is it best to bring old episodes of favourite tv shows, or is there a risk of developing an associative aversion to them like with cosmetics and music? 

You are all amazing.

• Hi again, 

the very reason they keep you in isolation is because you have NO white cells to fight infection! 

Though I'm sure your laptop, once wiped over, should be ok, and your yoga mat too, once wiped over properly, will be ok. 

However, you may well find (as many have before) you will get interrupted with blood tests, meds, checks, etc, that your periods of calm may not be long. Also you will possibly struggle with chemo brain and so concentration might not be that easy! 

Music to listen to, talking books, etc,  all a great idea. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Bumping again...

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember

Hi moomy

Do you know if you can apply for a disabled sticker in uk if you have had a transplant? I notice in your USA link they can. 

I followed your posts 5 years ago the first time my husband had Aml and I see you are still a gold mine of information now

• Hi Sharon, 

Yes, especially if your husband has any mobility problems, do apply! 

Does he qualify for any disabled living support?

I know they've changed the rules somewhat, but cancer is now included as a disability so think about personal independence payment stuff (PIP), ask about this on the helpline, they have financial advisors who can guide you through the minefield. (0808 808 0000) 

Good luck.

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember

Thank you

I don't think we do as I still work but I will phone the help line. He is due out mid August so I have time 

• Bumping thread, it has useful info for getting ready to go into hospital

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember

Unfortunately the hospital my husband is in say they are phasing out fridges as it is too much work for staff to keep checking

It's a shame as last time he was in we found this very usefulÂ