Permanent hair loss after radiotherapy to scalp...

• 11 replies
  • 8 subscribers

I have got permanent hair loss on my head/scalp, and even almost 17 years after I had the treatment, I am still annoyed at it being gone, and not as confident as I was before the treatment.  I have tried wigs/hairpieces but they are blindly obvious and I don't really like them much.

I cry when I see photos of myself before the chemo and radiotherapy treatment, because I just want my hair to be back, so I can at least do something with it, style it or whatever.  People say they understand, but they have no idea what it is like.

I say to them, 'you can shave your hair off, but yours will grow back. So don't go telling me that you understand!'.

I get so downhearted from my lack of hair, especially when someone has taken a photo, and I can see the full extent of the loss.

I just wish there was a way to restore it............. :(

• I have now had about 3 BCCs excised from my scalp, each with skin graft put on after.  So I have some lovely big scars on the hairless area of my head.  Oh yeah....the BCCs (Basal Cell Carcinoma) were also caused by the cranial radiotherapy, so my head looks even worse now.