Supporting Siblings

• 2 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi - just wondered if there is a support group to assist siblings who brothers and sisters are affected by cancer. Our child is struggling with a siblings diagnosis 

• Hi  and I see it's your first post so welcome to the Macmillan Community but so sorry to hear about your family's journey.

Lets see if any group members can help you out.

As you see the Community is divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and when it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your family and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our 

Family and Friends

Carers only 

……. support groups where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

You may find some of these Macmillan resources helpful on understanding childrens' reactions and also talking to children when an adult has cancer. You can also download, or order a paper copy, of this booklet.

You may want to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information and practical information as they may have information about support group on the system.

Do also check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area.

I know that the many Maggie's Centres across the UK have support groups for children..... I live in the Highlands and it's not that unusual for families to do a 3-4 hr round trip to come to Inverness for these groups.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you . Most appreciated