Feeling lonely and overwhelmed, 13 month old with rare cancer

• 10 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hello, 

I just wanted to reach out to see if any other parents wanted to talk or offer advice from their own journeys? 

Our story is as follows; I noticed my daughter had a blood shot eye at the age of 8/9 months old that appeared literally overnight and made no sense (couldn’t see what she could have done to cause it) I kept an eye and after a week or two, took her to the GP. The GP didn’t seem concerned and told us to continue to wait for improvement, however a week later I could visibly see her eye had changed shape. I was advised to take her to A&E and to be honest A&E were a bit dismissive and sent us away with a referral to ophthalmology. I had to call them and insist on an urgent appointment, which granted they gave us one the following day. 

At first, the doctor wasn’t concerned but then he went to ask a consultant to take a look and that’s when things changed. Before I knew it several doctors were in the room and we were told she needed an urgent MRI. This revealed a mass and she was admitted the following day for a biopsy. 

Unfortunately they couldn’t figure out what the tumour was and so we had an 8 week wait whilst it was viewed by several hospitals before they finally diagnosed her with an alveolar soft tissue sarcoma. (ASPS) - it’s very rare with only 6 diagnosis per year and even rarer again in a young baby and behind the eye. Several back and forth about treatment was made, chemo doesn’t work on these tumours and radiotherapy would cause her significant damage due to her age so the decision was made to perform surgery to remove her whole eye and the contents of the orbit. 

Though this surgery has ultimately saved her life, of course she has been left with no eye and this brings its own challenges (people can be cruel, innocently, awkwardly or obviously) people keep saying how I must feel relieved, how I must feel like a weight has lifted and how I must be so excited about the future. Yes of course, it goes without saying how delighted we are that her treatment so far appears successful but now I am so overwhelmed by what we’ve been through. I keep crying and getting upset, I feel like we had a life before cancer and now a life after cancer, I get tearful when I see pictures of her before all of this happened, I am triggered every time I see the oncology ward or even the A&E I took her to. It’s like I lived in survival mode for so long that now I am starting to feel everything I was excited to feel at diagnosis. I am finding it hard to tell people i’m struggling now as I can tell they just don’t understand why I can’t be happy now she’s had treatment etc… can anyone else relate? 

It’s a long wait for NHS therapy and I don’t even know if it’s the right support. Maybe other parents who can help me validate my experience would be more helpful? 

• Moonpants, your post has made me cry. I can totally understand why you are feeling so tearful - you've been through more in your beautiful daughter's short life so far than most people have to deal with in a lifetime with their children. I remember the distress I felt when my son, then 11, needed quite a major operation. As well as the worry over his illness, there was a deep feeling of 'my perfect child will never look the same again.' That sounds so shallow, but it's honest.  You will get through this, but please talk to your GP for support.

My situation is totally different. My adult daughter has a rare cancer. She's getting great treatment from a wonderful team, but it's so overwhelming. I try hard to plan nice things and make memories on the days when she feels good, but I have many days when I just want to hide away and cry.

Sending love to you both. xxx

• Thank you for your kind reply. You’re absolutely right, you do feel shallow but when it’s your baby, no matter how old they are you do just worry about what life will look like for them going forward. 

I am so sorry to hear your daughter is also battling this awful disease. It just doesn’t feel right as a mother to watch your child deal with this does it? I am the same, some days I feel ready to take on the world and others, I just cry and grieve our life before cancer. 

sending love xx

• Hello…..I’m not even sure what I am doing here…. Desperation maybe…

Moopants… it is wonderful news about your daughter.

My adult friend had her eye replaced a few years ago and she looks great. Don’t worry about how she will look.

My daughter developed vitilgo when she was 6 years old… I struggled & probably went through a period of depression if I’m honest seeing my daughter slowly disfigure. She is now a 24 year old bubbly, happy, beautiful (inside & out)  confident, young woman. You’ll find the difference in your daughter harder to deal with than your daughter. She will grow up knowing only her situation. You’ll hear other mums commenting on a little scratch on their daughters arm & want to scream at them at how lucky they are. You’ve gone through the toughest time. Be strong. You & your daughter will do just fine.

Cherry… I so feel for you… it is so very hard to be a strong mum constantly. I wish your daughter all the very best. 

I am here …crying… as I think I have finally hit rock bottom. My 22 year old son was diagnosed with Testicular Mesothelioma .. which is classed as a terminal cancer diagnosis….last November. Like your daughter Cherry, very rare.  He had a testicle removed and & no further treatment at the moment as cancer free but mri scans every three months. He is in his last year of university but has lost the will to finish the course. Lost the will to make the effort to do anything to be honest. He needs to see/speak to someone but I can’t get him to make the effort to see anyone. 

Anyway, it’s good to be here talking/listening to you both… thank you x

• Oh sunshine, I'm so very sorry.  It's so hard. I hope your son will finish his uni course. It doesn't make anything go away but at least means you have to focus on something else, some of the time.  Daughter is managing to work as much as she can at the moment. Chemo side effects are at last subsiding. Her surgery is next week so she will need to take more time off then. 

I know what you mean about wanting to scream at other mums when they go on about insignificant problems their children have. I have to tell myself that I might have been doing the same a year ago.

I hope you can persuade your son to speak to someone. Keep posting here, it's so good to talk to people who really do understand. Sending a hug.  Hugging 

• Hi Cherry…. I’m a bit rubbish negotiating this site and have taken a while to find you. Only wanted to say I am thinking about you and your daughter this week regarding her surgery. I hope all goes well… sending you love xx

• I'm not great at finding things on here either!

Thank you for your message. Daughter has had her surgery. She's very tired and sore but feeling okay. We won't know anything about clear margins (praying hard Pray ) until we see the surgeon again but it feels like a major hurdle crossed.

How are you doing? Sending love xx

• I’m glad she is feeling ok…..one hurdle over. I will keep everything crossed re those bloomin margins. I don’t think one realises how waiting for those results take their toll on you mentally & physically. Do try & give yourself some time to take stock too. 

We’re hanging in there thanks….

Love to you both x

• Haven't been on here for a while, hope everyone is holding up.

Daughter's margins were clear and lymph node was negative. Tumour had responded really well to chemo.

Have seen oncologist, she is to have 4 weeks of radiotherapy then.a further 16 sessions of chemo. This stunned me somewhat but daughter is coping well. I'm up and down. I know the surgery result is good, but it still seems like a very long, uphill.climb.

Sunshine, I hope your son is still studying.

Love to all xxx

• Morning Cherry 2

REALLY good to hear results of surgery. All wins are so important mentally and physically.

I’ve sat here a long time trying to respond to your feelings about the chemo & know exactly what you mean but don’t know how to put it into words…. I’d make a rubbish counsellor wouldn’t I Slight smile 

You ARE at the bottom of the hill at the moment but slowly you will get to the top. It’s brilliant that there is treatment for her.  Looking on is so hard though isn’t it….

How old is your daughter? Sounds like you’ve done a good job as she is coping with your suport?

Do you work? My work has saved me. You never forget but sometimes its nice to have to push it to the back of your head for a while. 

My son has booked a trip to Malaga with his good friends whom he has now told about his situation. Stupid as it’s when uni work needs to be submitted but it has slightly given him a goal. He’ll probRolling eyesly get by by the skin of his teeth…. As alwaysRolling eyesJoy He needs to talk to someone but wont instigate which is a shame.

We have MRI scans every three months. The last one was clear but I was knocked for six & we both pretty much went home to bed….. I think we were drained by the subconscious stress.

Anyway.. I have rambled on… My love and good wishes are with you & your daugter.

Moopants88…I hope you and your daughter are doing well xx

• Good to hear from you and I'm very glad your son has now told his friends and booked a trip.  That sounds positive. Also brilliant that last scan was clear - long may that continue.

Daughter is a doctor, so she has far more knowledge than I do ... which is both good and less good. She's in her 40s. I do often find myself sitting listening to her discussing with medics and it goes over my head, but she always explains in afterwards and I know she appreciates me being there for her. 

I really do understand the level of stress of these appointments, they're completely draining. 

I'm semi retired (from teaching) but do keep very busy with some supply work and other things. It's a life saver.

Sending love and very best wishes to you and you son. Also to Moonpants and daughter. xx