Son with mouth cancer

• 4 replies
  • 4 subscribers

My 50 year old son has recently been diagnosed with mouth cancer.  He will be going into hospital at the end of June and will have his operation on 29 June.  His children are 11 1/2 and 9 and are finding it difficult to understand why he can't do things the way he used to.  He is having great difficult in eating anything solid and, as he is in so much pain, he isn't sleeping well even with the prescribed medication.  Not sure there is anything that I can do except be here if he needs me.  However, it's nice to know that there is this forum to turn to if I need some advice.  

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that your son has recently been diagnosed with mouth cancer and I know what a difficult time this will be for the whole family.

I haven't been in your position, as I was the one with cancer, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. This is probably because this is a fairly quiet group.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting a couple of other groups for you to join that are more active. The first is the head and neck cancer group, which is a great place to ask questions and share experiences around diagnosis and treatment of mouth cancer, and the second is the family and friends group where you can discuss your worries and get support from others who have a loved one dealing with cancer.

To join either or both of these groups just click on the links I've created and then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'. 

It would be great if you could pop something about your son's journey with cancer into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Anonymous
    Anonymous in reply to latchbrook

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  It's very kind of you.  I will certainly look at the other groups you mention.  It's all come as such a shock to us all and we are still trying to come to terms with everything.   I'm hoping that we will all feel a bit easier once my son has had the operation and we know just what we are facing for his future.  Thanks again for your reply.  We will all try to stay positive.  I hope you are recovering well. 

• Most people find that it's easier once you know what you're dealing with  and hopefully this will be true for you too.

I haven't had my latest operations yet, they're in about 10 days time, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that everything's okay Fingers crossed

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for your replies.  My son has had his feeding tube fitted last Monday (21 June) and he goes into hospital on Monday (28 June) and has his operation the following day.  What we know so far is that the operation will be at least 10 hours, he will be cut from just below his ear to his chin, then up his chin to include his lip.  He will have bone taken from his leg to rebuild his jaw and he will have a breathing tube into his throat for at least the first 4 or 5 days.  Obviously with Covid no one can visit him, although his wife may be able to go once. We are all doing our best to be strong and positive, but I'm finding it very hard.  We're planning on taking a couple of trips out to try to take our mind of things.  Their children will be at school so our daughter is going to take our daughter in law out for the day that our son has his operation, we didn't want her to be on her own just thinking about things.  Thanks again for your words of encouragement.  I'll update when we know more.