Hello

• 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

I am new here but not new to the circs with our 37 year old daughter who was first diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 29 years old in 2012.  So we've lived with this now for 8 years having gone into remission, then returned in 2018 with major surgery and last week told stage 4 metastatic breast cancer.  Its been the toughest week yet with scans and port fitting, our daughter going into meltdown and turning up at midnight Saturday night in total breakdown.  She's been with us since not wanting to go home as she's on her own, understandably and realisation that we have to now live with her for the coming months having seen her home that she hid from us which was a clear sign she was unwell and feeling pretty angry with myself for not seeing this sooner.  Thinking about my granddaughter who returns to her care next week from daddy and she doesn't yet know about mummy.  

• Hello  and a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community but sorry that you needed to find us and I am especially sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis.

Although I had a different type of cancer, any cancer diagnosis brings many questions, lots of confusion and stress but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster.

The Community is organised into dedicated support groups so can I see you have already joined our supportive Parents of a child with cancer group. I would also suggest you join the Breast cancer group, this will be a good place to connect with others supporting a family member on the  same type of cancer journey.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your daughter's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Sweetpee18

I'm new also and I am in similiar position as my 42 old daughter has had Melanoma cancer since 2014.  She lives with her 2 daughters, 11 and 19, and I visit daily to care for her and look after house. It's hard for the 11 year old but we were told that children  are very resilient and she has been.. She does worry about her mommy as she has been with her when she has been really poorly at times.  However, I dont know how or why, but my granddaughter is amazing as she appears on the surface to have taken everything in her stride.  She is worried about her mom and it's so difficult to know how much to tell her. But we tell the truth but in kindest  way possible.  You and your daughter know your granddaughter better than anyone, so you do what you thinks best.  Experts dont always have the best advice to suit your family even though it's good for others. I havent always been right but together you can get through this.  It's hard and emotional but there have been many good days as well as bad.