New to the forum and just diagnosed with G.I.S.T.

• 14 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Good morning everyone!

I have just found your forum and am desperate to share what's been going on for me, so I hope you'll forgive me if I splurge! But first, I'll share a bit about myself.  I'm 73 and have a long and loving marriage (54 years!). I have two grown up children - one who lives locally and one who lives at the other end of the country! I have three granddaughters and two grandsons ranging in age from 9 - 19.  The families are both busy, busy, busy - just as I was when my kids were young.

Recently I fell and had a CT scan which picked up an abnormality between my Pancreas and Duodenum.  Yesterday, I had a gastroscopy and it was confirmed that I have a gastro intestinal stromal tumour (G.I.S.T.). More tests are to follow to see how deep the tumour has gone etc.and any treatment, or non-treatment will be discussed at a later stage. My next step is to have an endoscopic ultrasound - no date yet.

So far, no one at the hospital has mentioned the word 'cancer' but, having looked up GIST I see it is a soft tissue sarcoma and outcomes can vary according to whether or not it has spread.

I have been told that a Macmillan nurse will contact me within two weeks and that she will now coordinate my appointments etc and will be there to discuss what is happening to me.

Now this is great - but I need to get some things off my chest right now!

Firstly, I have a loving husband who clearly has no understanding of what is going on and how it may be making me feel.  He blots out medical information like I blot out what he tells me about his classic cars! Yesterday at 6.00 pm we were in discussion about the gastroscopy results at the hospital and this morning he is helping to set up a field for a three day car event.

I have a daughter who is staying in London yesterday and today with my three granddaughters who are all 'Swifties' and two of whom will be at the big Taylor Swift concert in Wembley tonight.  It's no good trying to talk to my daughter today as the excitement levels with the girls are far to high with the girls for her to take any notice of what I'm saying.  My son is working.  I can speak to him later, but need to get my ducks in a row first.

I don't know which way is up! I am on a see-saw of emotions thinking, 'The tumour has been measured at 1.6mm so far so it may be kept under surveillance.' to, 'The cancer may have spread and the depth may be greater when measured by the ultrasound endoscopy and I could be in for a lot of unpleasant procedures and treatment, depending where it has ended up!'

I am concerned because the CT scan also identified a lung nodule.  I had one picked up three years ago which was under the size threshold for surveillance.  If it is the same nodule, it has grown.  I have one in the other lung that my respiratory consultant isn't worried about, but he is concerned about this one and wants me back at the beginning of October to see what's what!

I have polyps being removed from my colon in two weeks time and they will also be tested for cancer.

I've had blood tests relating to cancer but don't get the results until Sept 5th (coincidentally, the day of my next colonoscopy). I only know they're relating to cancer because I read the name of the test on the blood test form and it tells me what the test means on Patient Access.

And STILL, no one medically involved has actually come out and used the word 'Cancer'!

I'm sorry to have dumped all this here, but believe me when I say that just writing it down has already helped. 

I welcome any replies, but even just knowing other people are out there is a great support.

I have chronic respiratory conditions and so also post on the asthma + lung forum, but don't think this is appropriate to post there.

Thank you, if you have taken the time to read this.

xx Moy

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but I am sorry to hear about your G.I.S.T diagnosis.

Navigating a cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help you a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend that you join and put up a post in our dedicated Soft Tissue Sarcomas support group.

This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support. To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Soft tissue sarcomas

……. and when the group page opens you will see a [Black - Click to Join - Banner] at the bottom of the page, click in this box and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

You can then introduce yourself to the group by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post]or [+] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

The Macmillan Support Line is open between 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi! Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't seem able to copy and paste my first post to the STS group.  I can copy it but when I try to paste it, there is no option for me to do so. Are you able to advise me, please?

xx Moy

• Hi….. assuming you are using a phone….. if you copy the text from this post (hold a finger anywhere on the text, extended the copy borders then hit copy)

Open the STS group, then hold your finder anywhere on the main area where you want to post (not the title)…...  the post function will appear.

Give it a go…… if you are still having problems I can get the Macmillan Cimmunity Staff to do it for you.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I have tried the phone but am still having no success. I'm not sure why, but it just isn't happening.  If you could get the Macmillan Community Staff to do it for me, I would be very grateful.

I'm feeling a bit better about things today, but would still like it posted, if possible.

Thank you so much for your help.

xx Moy

• I will do that for you Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Good morning, Moy. My name is Dylan and I work in the Online Community team. 

I have just copied and pasted your post into the Soft tissue sarcomas forumI hope you find the forum helpful.

You can find the post by clicking here.

If you have any questions or need help with the site, please feel free to get in touch with us on community@macmillan.org.uk.

Best wishes,
    Dylan

Macmillan's Online Community Team

• Hi Moy

I'm sorry to hear how you are feeling.  I have felt exactly the way you feel now.  My husband sounds like yours, he is a very caring man (but a little bit of an 'ostrich') and tends to 'worry when there's something to worry about', I know that it isn't the fact that he doesn't care, because I know he does. It just doesn't help when all you want to do is talk.

I have no close family, only a cousin who has his own family and is very busy. My stepdaughter and stepson too have very busy lives.  That is why I have found being on here so helpful, everyone knows exactly how you feel and are a great comfort and are very supportive and caring.

Sending you hugs.

Hazel xx

• Hello, Hazel.

It seems that I missed your post when you wrote it 20 days ago!  I've received notifications of other posts, but not yours, which is a shame as I have found it today and it is very helpful!

Just knowing that other people are coping with similar issues is a support in itself, isn't it? 

I need to find out a little bit more of the way this site works as don't want to missing posts when people have kindly spent time to respond.

Isn't it difficult when you know your family members are busy or are of the 'ostrich' variety?

I think my husband has now realised that I need his support, especially since the MacMillan nurse phoned and confirmed that we are probably looking at 'cancer' and not just a random lump.

My first gastroscopy biopsies came back 'inconclusive' but the MacMillan nurse told me that both the pathologist and my consultant are fairly sure that it is cancer. I'm to have an endoscopic ultrasound on Monday and they'll take further biopsies then. I'll be glad when it's done and dusted.

It's a bit of a faff as originally our son said he would drive us to the appointment on the day, once we had a date to work with, but unfortunately, the date I've been given doesn't work for him at all.  We've booked a Holiday Inn for the night before and the cat's booked into the cattery for Sunday and Monday nights. We can't leave her for others to feed as we'll have no furniture left when we get back! She's an older cat and has only been with us since October when her owner went into a care home.  She's lovely, but she's started scratching my chair for attention.  Also, she has a litter tray indoors as she won't use the garden (far too posh!) and she occasionally misses the mark! The cattery is definitely the best option but adds to the cost and the room's quite expensive too.

My husband is 82 now and, although he is ok driving, I don't want him to stress about getting me there on time in the morning, hence the overnight stay so we can take our time.

Our eldest granddaughter is off to uni at the weekend and the whole family will be taking her, returning late on Sunday night, so we won't see them until we're back from the hospital.

My daughter is a school admin and is back at work now. She lives in Cumbria and her husband is currently working half the week in London, so she's doing all the running around up there, getting the kids to school and clubs etc.  Although they are both at senior school now, they were allocated a school which is impossible for them to get to without a car, but they are just fractionally too close to qualify for school transport. Their school is in one direction and my daughter's school is in the opposite so it's not an easy commute.

Sorry to ramble - you don't need to hear all this, do you?

I hope you are going on alright.

x Moy