Start of the journey

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi all. After a Colonscopy I have been diagnosed with Bowel cancer after they found a large tumour. MRI and CT scans ahead of group review to asesss the scale and treatment plan 

I have just joined MacMillan online -  as recommended by my boss 

Will learn more of my challenges in a few days

Hoping to start a blog to update people on progress and take the strain off WhatsApp messages. Random question - can a link to blogs on here be shared in social media?

Great to meet you all  

Jules

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses. As for your question about linking a blog on here to other social media…… I am not totally sure but I think not as blogs on the Community remain in the Community….. but I will check this out with the Community Team.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)…… but I do see that you have already found and joined our dedicated Bowel cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

…… then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  

It’s Megan here from Macmillan’s Online Community team. I’d like to wish you a further warm welcome to the site, I hope you will find posting in our forums to be a helpful source of support. Mike has given you some great information in his reply and I do hope you'll consider some of the support options mentioned. Slight smile

The lovely Mike made me aware of your post and I just wanted to share some information to help you get started with setting up your blog. There is some step-by-step guidance and short video tutorials in our Help Pages and you may find the ‘Writing for healing’ blog a useful resource. It has tips and suggestions alongside support information.

When it comes to sharing your Community blog on your social media channels, you can if you feel comfortable to do so, I just wanted to make you aware that those on your social feed will see everything you post here on the Community. This includes any posts in the forums.

I’m just making you aware of this because our Community is an anonymous space to get support as we ask no personal information or links to personal social media pages is to be shared here. This is so people can talk openly about how they feel when going through difficult experiences without being identified. By promoting your Community blog on your social media pages, it will remove some of your anonymity.

I hope this makes sense but if you have any other questions or need help using the site, please email Community@macmillan.org.uk or send a private message to the Moderator account.

Best wishes, 

Megan
    Macmillan's Online Community team

• Hello there, my name is Kelly. I had my colonoscopy on Sunday and I have my CT scan this Sunday, so I feel we are at the same point in our journeys maybe we could buddy up and help each other xx

• Hi Kelly. Sounds a plan!  A funny stage when you know you need to be ready for something but not quite sure what’s around the corner!  Hope the scan goes well Sunday and keep positive!  Jules

• Thanks Megan

Will have a look through the links and see how to take a blog forward. Really helpful

Jules

• Thanks Mike - really helpful

Jules