Hi I have just joined x

• 1 reply
  • 37 subscribers

Hi Everybody 

Its lovely to actually get on here at last. A little bit about my situation. My 81 year old Dad, was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's  lymphoma high grade about two weeks ago. He started feeling poorly about 3 months ago. He had gone from being a fit and healthy 80 year old ( his birthday was in June) a strong man, walking, doing all his chores, walking in the nearby park, doing his garden, to my Dad who has lost so much weight, is pretty much house bound apart from appointments. its hard to get a grasp and come to terms with how something can strike so aggressively at this point in his otherwise extremely fit and healthy life.

I wanted to come on the community for advise and help. He has just had his first chemotherapy last Thursday. He is doing well, just really tired, i have been sorting all his medication, and we have just about finished all that was given to us. He starts his injections tomorrow for five days. He has a hoarse voice and is barely able to talk, only in whispers. I did research that this is a side effect. I wondered if anybody has any advice on how i can help with this, if there is anything we can do. I am always asking if his throat is sore and if that happens, does anyone have any advice about that. He lives on his own ( My Mum died of throat cancer in 2014)  but me and my sister are going up every morning before work and after work, we are looking into extra help, but at the moment, my Dad doesn't feel he is ready for that, as he is still able to walk about the house, if he needs to, and go to the toilet, he has a camode downstairs  but is till going to bed upstairs. An extra rail is due to be fitted on the 9th to help. Is there anything else we should be thinking about? 

He was extremely tired today, its nearly 7 days since his chemotherapy, is there anything we should be looking out for, we have a thermometer to check his temperature if he feels unwell, but up to now, he has been ok, just extremely tired. 

Thank you for listening, any advice would be good xxx

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and to hear about your dad.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. 

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a very rare, incurable but treatable type of CTCL - NHL Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma ……. eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 when a second, also rare type of aggressive PTCL - NOS NHL was then presenting so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Non Hodgkins Lymphoma support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link below…….

Non-Hodgkin lymphoma

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

I will keep an eye open for you in the Non-Hodgkin lymphoma group.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge