Feeling overwhelmed

• 6 replies
  • 37 subscribers

My daughter is 25 and just been diagnosed with AML I am devastated and feel completely overwhelmed by it. How do I best support her and not say the wrong thing. She is due to start intensive chemo for four weeks next.  Looking for positvity and support please

• Hi Bev,

I am sorry to hear about your daughter. How is she coping? 

I am undergoing treatment myself (I’m 35) for TNBC. 

Everyone is different however my personal suggestions would be to listen to your daughter - as much as sometimes it may be difficult. 
    I personally repeat myself A LOT, have mixed emotions so my moods are up and down, if your daughter is the same, don’t take anything personal. 

Be there for her when she has her appointments in the sense of giving lifts and attending when needed just for that extra support and EAR as you get told lots of information. 

Unfortunately there is no right or wrong answer here and everyone is different in needs and wants. 
    People are always saying things that frustrate me, however I know they love and care about me just like your daughter will know this.  

Talk to her and ask her what she wants. She may not know herself yet but suggest practical things. 
    If you’re unsure, research (off the right websites like Macmillan’s) and do not Dr Google!! 

I’ve just undergone my first chemo session yesterday and it was okay! The nurses were lovely and kept on top of me. The unknown and out of control aspect causes great anxiety and when she gets over the first session you will know what to expect. 
    I didn’t feel anything going in. 

Someone put together a little chemo goody bag for me and I thought it was a lovely thing and was one less thing to think about. 

Hope this helps. 
    It is frightening however just try and stay as positive!! 
    Like my consultant said, this is not a fight, this is a journey

Sending virtual hugs xx 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your daughter’s AML diagnosis. 

A cancer diagnosis in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type or support challenges will help you a lot……. I have lived with and been treated for a different blood cancer for over 25 years so I do understand the journey.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we try to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our.......

Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML)

........... support group.

This group is a safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same support journey.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your daughter and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our……

Family and Friends

Carers only (if you are his caregiver)

……. support groups where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above …… then once the group page opens click in the [ Black - Click to Join - Banner ] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [ + Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thankyou so much for responding I think she’s in shock and really scared of the sound of intensive chemotherapy. 

• Over my 25 years living with and being treated for my 2 Lymphomas I must have had over 800 hrs of very strong chemo… it’s means to an end….. a tool to deal with her AML and on the whole a temporary bump in the road.

I was 58 when I stayed my chemo and did ok….. your daughter has youth on her side Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Completely understand. 
    I was in shock when I was told about mine and to be honest, I still am some days! 

Every day will be different and that is no reflection on her. 

I was petrified of starting chemo. The unknown. Out of my control feelings. 
    Honestly - it was okay. I didn’t feel any of it swizzling round my body or wherever it goes and I didn’t feel it go in. I did question it and they said that’s good! 

I have a PICC line inserted and your daughter may have one too. They are uncomfortable to begin with but it does settle. Mine has taken a week to settle. 

Take one day at a time! And be kind to both of yourselves xx

• I see that you have not joined our Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) support group.

Please do join the group, put up a post and introduce yourself as the group as this is a safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same AML journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge