Need advice - Am I overreacting?

• 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

So about 6 weeks ago I noticed a hard, painless lump under my right armpit. I went to the doctors and she didn’t feel the lump in question or anything, she just put it down to shaving irritation. She then prescribed me a course of strong antibiotics for the ‘ infection ‘ It’s been over two weeks since that appointment and I’ve got another one booked for tomorrow because the lump still hasn’t gone and if anything it’s grown in that time. I’m having a few symptoms, tired / itchy and pain in my groin. The thing is cancer runs deep in my family. Only 2 years ago my mum had vulva cancer of which she needed major surgery to remove a tumour. As well as that she also previously had cancerous cells on her cervix. My Nan ( My mums mum ) also had bowel cancer and my uncle ( mums brother ) had Hodgkins Lymphoma. I know I may be over reacting but I’ve never had any lumps or anything of any kind ever and I can’t help but worry.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your concerns and the journey your family have been on.

Navigating a diagnosis journey can be such a stressful and challenging time.

This New to Community area is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)…… so if you do find you are diagnosed with cancer you can join one of our support group by looking at THIS LIST  where you will find all our dedicated cancer support groups listed.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from members who are navigating the exact same journey.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Dear Eloise,

So sorry to read your post, please don’t think your overreacting we all know our bodies, and know when things aren’t quite right. So pleased you have a follow up appointment with your GP write a few pointers down before hand as we can be all over the place and forget the most important things.

Thinking  of you.I do wish you well going forward, with health and happiness, fingers crossed PrayRainbowPrayRainbow

• Just an update for those who are interested - I went to the doctors and they are concerned and referred me for a urgent ultrasound scan.

• Good to hear that you are going to get further investigations done.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thinking of you, Have a restful, weekend let’s hope your appointment will be arranged very soon hugs PrayRainbowPrayRainbow

• My ultrasound is booked in for next Saturday. Thank you very much for your kindness, I truly appreciate it Relaxed

• Will be thinking of you, with hugs

PrayRainbowPrayRainbow