Learning to cope

• 14 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hello. 
my husband was diagnosed with stage 5 prostate cancer late last year, and he is currently understanding hormone treatment and has completed 6 rounds of chemotherapy. My question is how on earth to people manage and cope with the diagnosis and pick themselves up and keep going emotionally? 

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the online Community although I am so sorry to find you here.

The Community is divided up into various cancer specific forums or chat rooms and I would advise you to join the Prostate cancer forum where you will connect with people on the same or similar journey. To do this just click on the link I have provided-

Prostate cancer forum 

Once the page opens up just click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. You can then introduce yourself in the "New Here - Say Hello" section. You can either copy and paste or repost your original post.

I am Brian - I have Prostate Cancer and hang around on the Prostate cancer forum and look forward to meeting you in the Community - we aren't a bad bunch!

If I can do anything else for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello Julie and welcome though so sorry for the reason why. It's good to see treatment has started early. Julie the simple answer is you just do, You have been through testing, the not knowing, waiting for results, diagnosis and waiting for treatment to start, which nearly everyone finds is the hardest part of your cancer journey. Things that help are focussing on the positives, each other, family, friends. Having things to look forward to, having a positive attitude, accepting you will have down days, we all do, and not supressing your emotions if you ned to scream, rant or cry then do so it will help, and lastly talking to others who are going through, or have been through what you are will help you understand what your going through emotionally is normal, and there is a way to move on. As Millibob (Brian) has said, The Prostate cancer forum is a great place for support and advice, Lots of guys and girls who understand what you are both going through who would be happy to help in any way they can. Take care.

Eddie

• Thankyou so much for your replies. Treatment for my husband is going as well at it can, in all fairness, he is a trooper and to be honest isn’t really fazed just more concerned about myself and the children. I am really struggling emotionally and it has bought a bout of awful anxiety with it.

we are doing as many positive things as we can and I’m trying to give my husband things too look forward too.

im glad I joined here, hopefully it will provide some much needed support in a safe environment.

• Hello Julie ( )

I see you have joined the Prostate Community - there'e plenty of help and advice there. If you post on the Prostate Community it will be seen by Community members on the same journey as you and your husband - where we are now (New to the Community) is like the "reception desk" for the entire Cancer Community.

As regards anxiety - I can advise you as follows:

* Do you have a "Maggie's" near you. These are a support charity for anyone affected by cancer. To find your nearest "Maggie's -0800 123 1801 or https://www.maggies.org/

* There's Anxiety UK - They can offer specific help and advice on 0344 477 5774 or www.anxieyyuk.org.uk

* Give our Support Line a call on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week).They can offer plenty of extra help and advice.

I hope the above helps and I look forward to "meeting" you again on the prostate Cancer forum.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know..

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Julie your husband sounds like a great guy, putting family first and carrying on as normally as possible, though I would think his treatment  has not been side effect free. so sorry to hear about your anxiety, I'm sure the ladies and guys on the prostate cancer forum can relate to that and be able to help and support you, They have helped me and so many others through difficult times, Eddie xx

• He is a great guy, and he is totally just carrying on as normal and actually I now take may cues from him. He has had some side effects from treatment but honestly he just had a few days of feeling awful and then gets up and fights on.

its just so nice to be able to talk to people who are going through similar things. I’m in awe of you all - because at times I feel like a bubbling mess.

Thankyou for your kind words xx

• Hi Julie, I can relate to you being a bubbling mess, just about sums me up at times, though like your husband i try to carry on as normal. Which answers your initial question quite nicely, but i have had nearly 2 years to come to terms with my prognosis.

Eddie xx

• Hi Eddie

I think you’re both right, there is a lot of comfort in carrying on as normal. I think my issue is I think to far ahead in the future, perhaps I shouldn’t do that. my husband seems to have got his head around the diagnosis, it’s me that is struggling with that. 
    Take care xx

• Morning Julie, nothing wrong with planning ahead, my partner and I are planning our wedding in November. I have also been carer as well as cared for and from my experience being carer is the hardest. I hope you have plans for today,

Eddie xx

• No plans for today - weather is damp cold and miserable, and hubby has turned into a bit of a homebirdk.

We are planning our vow renewal for September, hubby alway said no before when I asked but he changed his mind after his diagnosis so plenty to plan like you with your wedding and it is something to focus on isn’t it?

My husband is my carer due to mobility issues and he still manages it well at the moment, but I don’t make such a good carer, but I will get there I’m sure.

Enjoy your day with whatever your doing.

Take care xx