Thymus and MDT meeting

• 4 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi I'm Lisa. During chest xray a mass was found on my thymus gland. PET scan has shown mild uptake. I have my MDT meeting on Friday. I have also sent an appointment with the respiratory clinic on the Monday. Does this mean something has been found? Not really getting answers.

Thank you for any advice.

•   

Hi Lisa and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I don't have any experience with the thymus gland so I'm going to recommend that you join the thymus cancer forum which is a great place to ask questions and share experiences with others who may have been through similar to you.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• My son has a tumour on his thymus. Some are benign, some are thymus cancer, some are thymoma, which is less aggressive than Thymus cancer. Like yours his  was found following a chest x ray (for something else). I don't know how they work it in your area, but in his case he first had a CT scan, then a  biopsy, then an MDT meeting and then a PET scan. PET showed no spread to lymph nodes. MDT is where they decide how to proceed with treatment etc.

My son was prescribed 4 to 5 chemo sessions. (Cisplatin,Doxyrubicin &Cyclophosphamide) to shrink the tumour prior to surgery to remove Thymus. His tumour was 5 cm when they found it. Thymus tumours are very rare, so it is hard to find much info on them. After round 3 of chemo they thought it had shrunk enough for surgery,and would shrink a bit more after round 4. But then,following a "pre-op" MRI, although the surgeon thought he could do it then, the radiographer advised  rounds 5 & 6 of chemo because though smaller, it was near his aorta and left lung. So now he has done round 5 chemo and is booked for another pre-op MRI in a fortnight from now, when he will be just into chemo round 6. His tumour turned out to be a thymoma. We are very optimistic that the surgery will get rid of it altogether.

• Thank you. I have had ct scan and PET scan so far. Now waiting regarding the MDT meeting this Friday.

• There is an organisation called "Thymic UK". They are having a conference in Cambridge about thymus cancers, for patients. 7th May. You might be able to get there.