Exercise for my Mum who is 83

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined this group.  My Mum has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer.  Yesterday she had a mini operation, exploratory with a camera, to check if the cancer has spread. After having a fitness test, the doctors cannot do the major operation to remove part of her stomach.  One of the reasons is her age and she had a stroke 7 years ago and is on blood thinners. Mum is now waiting for a pathway to be put in place for chemo.  The doctors keep mentioning that she needs to walk more and do more exercise. Mum knows her own mind and wont be pushed. 

Could anyone suggested any websites I could look at or any advice.  Mum does climb stairs in the house, does a small amount of ironing and light dusting.

Thank you in advance 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your mum has been diagnosed with stomach cancer and it sounds like a difficult time for you with you wanting to encourage your mum to exercise when she is reluctant to do so.

As the online community is divided into different support forums, I'm going to recommend a couple for you to join so that you can find out how others have encouraged someone to exercise. The first is the stomach cancer forum where you'd connect directly with others who have a similar diagnosis to your mum.

The second is either the carers only forum, if you're your mum's carer, or the family and friends forum if you're not her carer. Both groups are supportive places where you can ask your question about exercise.

To join, just click on the links I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

You might also find this downloadable booklet from Macmillan on exercise helpful. It can also be ordered as a hard copy if you felt it might help your mum to read through it at her own pace.

It would be great if you could put something about your mum's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• May I suggest a ‘stepper’ machine, it is very portable. My wife had one but it had no handrail but I suggest a handrail to hold on to and for balance. The level of power can be adjusted to suit ability. The unit has two platforms, one for each foot. You stand on these and then it is a pedal action at your own pace. Good exercise!