Possible dementia with cancer

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi all I am new here I have a question about ovarian cancer 

my wife has had ovarian cancer for two years now 8 weeks ago all chemo treatment was stopped due to damaging her lungs however my question is can this bring on dementia I know confusion and forgetting dates ect is normal but my wife is now doing things like putting washing in a cupboard instead of machine, trying to get toast out of toaster when she has already done so and many other things like this and I need to know if this normal or should I be trying to get hold of her consultant thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give 

• Hi Barry Giffin and a warm welcome to the forum though so sorry you need to be here, there is a condition caused by cancer treatment, commonly called chemo fog, CRCC being it's medical name, which i have. and I do have trouble remembering names and dates but I am aware of this so it can be a little annoying at times their is never any confusion, PS I am 59 and very occasionally i put my phone in the fridge or milk in the cupboard like older people do. I am no expert but I would be contacting the consultant as soon as you can, take care.

Eddie

• Hi  and a second welcome to the Community......... From my long experience in having chemo.... and now being over 8 years out from my last treatment I am still hearing stories from my family about the very odd things I did during and for months and months after my treatment was completed.

As always, these types of concern should be directed to your Wife's clinical team to allow them to check this out and to reassure you both.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and when it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your wife and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our 

Carers only 

Supporting someone with incurable cancer

support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Please do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge