Chest wall cancer; Radiotherapy conundrum

• 12 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I have been diagnosed Terminal Cancer with an incurable disease ; surgery is not an option as there are too many things going on in my left chest wall.

Chemo therapy has been offered but I declined as I am not sure my body could take the after effects and given the size of  the largest tumour (6cm) I could not 

take on board that chemo would shrink the tumour. I have now been offered Radiotherapy ( External beam ) with a five day programme ;

However my tumours are on the left side ,the 6cm one is like a golf ball that is visible by some five inches ; with another less large one in similar area; 

as all my problems are on the left I am worried that the Radiotherapy beam will infiltrate my heart, and result in heart problems down the line.

I am 81 years of age but my outer body is in  very good shape (weight lifting for 35 years) however my innards are old and I feel sure any serious heart effects 

due to radiotherapy  would be more than I could take. Has  anybody had such a situation and what was the end outcome. 

I am a new member to the club . Possibly not a situation where another member has similar problem, but its worth a shot.