Chest wall cancer; Radiotherapy conundrum

• 12 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I have been diagnosed Terminal Cancer with an incurable disease ; surgery is not an option as there are too many things going on in my left chest wall.

Chemo therapy has been offered but I declined as I am not sure my body could take the after effects and given the size of  the largest tumour (6cm) I could not 

take on board that chemo would shrink the tumour. I have now been offered Radiotherapy ( External beam ) with a five day programme ;

However my tumours are on the left side ,the 6cm one is like a golf ball that is visible by some five inches ; with another less large one in similar area; 

as all my problems are on the left I am worried that the Radiotherapy beam will infiltrate my heart, and result in heart problems down the line.

I am 81 years of age but my outer body is in  very good shape (weight lifting for 35 years) however my innards are old and I feel sure any serious heart effects 

due to radiotherapy  would be more than I could take. Has  anybody had such a situation and what was the end outcome. 

I am a new member to the club . Possibly not a situation where another member has similar problem, but its worth a shot. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've been diagnosed with an incurable cancer and it's natural that you have lots of questions.

The online community is divided into different support forums where you can ask questions, share experiences and get support from others who have a similar diagnosis to you. As you haven't said what type of cancer you have, I can't give you a direct link to a group yet. However, you can either tell me the type of cancer you have, and I'll then give you a link, or you can look through this list and choose the appropriate one.

Once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Bold1 and a warm welcome from me. I too have co morbidities which limit my treatment options, because of heart issues, ACHD, aortic enlargement and a few other heart problems, all but very minor surgery would probably kill me, and chemotherapy would cause too many toxins in my blood for my heart to cope with so that would probably kill me as well. I was diagnosed June 2022 with advanced prostate cancer and was ok with hormone therapy as well as External Beam Radiotherapy having 70 gy over 20 days with no knock on heart problems which was done April 2023. The radiotherapy worked well, the angle of the beam was widened to cover the pelvic region. My radiotherapy RT was not done with any hope of cure, but it did what they hoped it would do, I know my RT was targeted about 12 inches from my heart but todays RT machines are incredibly accurate and can be programmed to switch on or off to avoid vulnerable areas. take care.

Eddie

• Thanks Eddy; that gives me confidence re possible  Radiotherapy heart problem . two final questions .....1, How bad was "wave pain" associated with radiotherapy? and 2.Are the skin problems manageable ?  Thanks again , and best wishes for your future.

• Latchbrook; thanks for your response; in answer to your questions I can pass on what has happened and how I am where I am;

In 2014 Had bowel cancer and had a stoma fitted.

In 2019 Had lower lobe wedge 

In 2021 Had right middle lobe removed

In 2022 Had excision of pleural based metastasis lesion

In August 2023 had a CT scan and a new heterogenous lesion measuring 2.1 cm x 1,0cm  attached to rib 7 with some fracture.

In Oct 2023 had a PETscan showing the lesion on rib 7 with

SUV OF MAX 16; plus mediastinal multi high grade nodules; 

The Heart and lung hospital referred me to Clatterbridge oncology  as i have multifocal disease ,

The first lump has grown from 2.1 cm to 5cm and a second lump from the operation port site also shows.

I refused chemo ; and I am being offered Radiotherapy; but I need to talk to people who have had similar radiology ; as my disease is left side of rib cage and I am worried about heart problems after radiology. Thank you . Hope this answers your questions,

• Hi  

So I think from what you've written, you have bowel cancer which has spread to your bones. Is that right?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Bold1, the radiotherapy was painless. no depression or instability either and only a small area of dry skin which was easily treated with E45.take care. 

Eddie

• No' The cancer was primarily in bowel but surgery removed the bowel and I have a stoma;

the current cancer is in my 7th Rib and two lumps are present one is 6cm the other 5cm.

I refused chemo and have been offered Radiotherapy; what I would like to know is does the "pain wave" of Radiotherapy hit everyone or is different for a lot of people; and how bad is that pain.

I am also trying to find out what % percentage of such tumours are successful in as much as hey shrink or stop growing ;  best wishes,

• Cheers Eddiel; that gives me great hope.  Thanks

• Sorry  but I'm not a medic, just a fellow cancer patient, and I was trying to work out from your list of treatment what type of cancer you're being treated for to give you a link to the relevant group.

So, as you've said you have two lumps on your ribs I'm presuming that it's bone cancer that you're being treated for. If that's right then this is the link to the bone cancer forum where you can ask others how they've got on with radiotherapy.

I apologise if I've got it wrong again and, if I have, please let me know the type of cancer you have so I can link you to the right forum.

Wishing you all the best with your treatment

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks eddiel ; re assuring . cheers.  Bold1