Bowel Cancer but complicated!

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hello all I’m new to this whole cancer scene however this is my story thus far

Back in October I was diagnosed with bowel cancer and advised that I need to have a right hemicolectomy. All checks were done and during the course of several scans and cameras where the sun doesn’t shine they discovered I had a huge substernal goitre that is 12cm across ( apparently that’s very big) pressing on my oesophagus and too big to remove via the neck. The other issue I have is that I am a kidney transplant patient and of course the donated kidney is in my abdomen. So my local hospital decided that all this was too risky for them and sent me out of area where my renal unit is. All tests repeated again as different trusts, but major concerns over the anaesthetic. However I had the operation 29/1/24 and still awaiting full histology. They hope it hasn’t spread - it was near the liver - however my kidney has gone to sleep and still to wake up and my renal levels are now not good at all. As if that was not enough I am now being treated for sepsis, resulting in the bowel going back to discharging in a totally uncontrolled manner and I am still in hospital hoping desperately that at some point in the near future things will return to something like normal for me.

i said it was complicated!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses and the ongoing challenges you are dealing with.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Bowel Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this linkPoint down

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

…… then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge