Acute Myeloid Leukaemia

• 2 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi everyone

My husband was diagnosed with AML in July last year and has now completed his fifth round of chemotherapy, instead of getting easier the worry and anxiety seems to get worse as time goes on which hasn't helped with him suffering two nasty infections (chest & water) and a 10 day stay in hospital.  As I still work full time, live out in the sticks and do not drive I am constantly rearranging my ways of getting to and from work although I have to say that my bosses have been great about this.  Can anyone tell me if the fear and worry ever stops, some days I feel that I am already grieving and cannot talk to anyone about it as I will just break down - I need to stay positive to support my husband as the last thing he needs is to see me upset.  Any advise would be welcome.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your husband’s AML diagnosis. 

A cancer diagnosis in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type and support challenges will help a lot (I have a totally different type of blood cancer)

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated AML support group. This is a safe place to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same support journey.

To connect with a group click on the link below

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../acute-myeloid-leukaemia-myelodysplasia-forum

then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for the information - will do as you suggested.