New to group

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi all, I was diagnosed with lymphoma non hodgkins, stage 1, MALT, in Feb 2023, started two months Rituximab treatment, once a week for 8 weeks, last May 2022, I now have to be monitored every three months for two years.

i had my first monitoring consultation a month or so ago and I’m in remission, which is good news and I know for peace of mind at least I will get monitored every few months. My 2nd monitoring date with consultant is mid February.

I was given Rituximab as my consultant said is best treatment for someone with Sjogrens Syndrome which I have probably for 10 years.

My question is this, has anyone else had this treatment and found that they know tend to get tiny skin sores, over their body, mainly on back and arms? I also had steroids given at same time as the Rituximab. I’ve also found that even though I’m active doing regular workouts, I’ve put on weight. A nurse on Macmillan said that both these drugs can cause you to gain weight, I wonder if anyone else has had increase weight from it?  Just wondered how long these drugs stay in your body. Next time I see my consultant I will mention it anyway.

Any views would be appreciated.  Btw, I was told it is treatable, but it won’t go away, so just hoping it doesn’t return too soon. Consultant said possibility it can return within 5 years.

• Hi  and welcome to the Community. I am Mike and I help out across our Lymphoma Groups...... I see that you have joined and posted in one of the threads on our NHL group so I will reply to you on that post.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike, thought I would join this one too, in case anyone else wishes to respond. 

• The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct people to the best part of the Community for to get support so people don't tend to hang around this area.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Anyone Else Like Me? Straight in at Stage 3…

Hi all – is there anyone else here with Multiple Myeloma? If so, have you anything positive to say about your progress or treatment? (I tried to start a new thread under 'new to the forum', but my 'new thread' button had vanished!) My experience so far:

4th Feb 2023: Went to my GP with a very sore ribcage, telling him repeatedly ‘it feels like a fractured or broken rib’. GP gave me meds for ‘a strain’ or ‘bruised ribs’ (Naproxen & Omeprazole), but didn’t arrange a blood-test, CT/X-Ray, or make further contact after that.

9th November 2023: Ribcage had subsided during past few months so I (foolishly) ‘put up with it’, but now pain extreme again - attended A&E. After several routine tests – including blood – a hospital doctor identified high calcium, and further tests were arranged.

11th December 2023: Visited Haematology-Oncologist and he diagnosed ‘Advanced Stage 3 Multiple Myeloma’; CT/X-Ray scans and blood showed 2 broken ribs, several fractured and eroded ribs (Hypercalcemia), 2 large plasma-cytoma tumours, as well as ‘numerous’ cancerous deposits spreading from pelvis to skull, and another wayward blood-cell count (protein this time). MRI & biopsies followed.

11th January 2024: First chemo session (dexamethasone, lenalidomide, daratumumab); a week later 2nd session (no side-effects yet); then 3rd session cancelled as I had a minor flu-like virus; 4th session also cancelled as I was in hospital for three days with sepsis (neutrophil-count at 0.2). Ribcage, spinal and cytoma pains still vary from ‘bad’ to ‘severe’, 24/7.

I don’t really know what I’m expecting to hear, but I’m trying my best to remain optimistic. I suppose I’d just like someone else in a similar position with MM to give me a bit of good news for a change!

Thanks. Chris R

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Myeloma support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link > Myeloma then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

Give me a shout if you need further help.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike - will attempt to do that later. Chris R