Letrozole & other breast cancer meds.COPD sufferer

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

I was diagnosed with BC some 2.5 yrs ago. I am also a COPD sufferer & sleep apnea. All relevant when it comes to the anaesthetic. I was put on Letrozole & after 1 year (Respiratory Team needed after C-19 disbanded) after 3 months the BC had gone from 17mm to 9mm after nearly 1 year it had vanished, I continued with Letrozole until I just couldn't bare the side effects any longer. I was without any treatment for quite a few months until another 2 tumours had started to grow (I'm grade 3 - the faster growing tunours).

I went back on the Letrozole whilst waiting for the new Respiratory Team to give advise & support (I now have a Respiratory Team, thank goodness) It was a very slow side effects that the Letrozole gave and this time around, oh gosh ! It was unbearable, effected all my joints (even now after stopping this med I'm in agony with the joints. The brain fog. Also effected my breathing, made it so much worse, if that was possible. 

I couldn't get out of the chair, my breathing, muscles joints, I had no quality of life. Told my Dr & decided to stop Letrozole & try & get back some health (whilst BC tumours had shrunk) in my body. It was a race against the tumours growing quickly & me getting back some quality of life. The joints pain still persists & my legs are like lead weights (muscles). I was in such poor health & no way would I have made it through surgery in that condition.

So now I'm looking g to try another med that will hopefully see me through the years I have to take it without the side effects destroying me. I'm not getting any support from my daughter but I have grandchildren that maybe of some support as the eldest takes me to my appointments & does her best as she has 2 young children. My middle grandaughter has her job but also fits in with appointments when she can.

Now I looking at the alternative to Letrozole. I realise that all give me fatigue- this is doubled being a copd sufferer. Then the pain from side effects. Some people I've spoken to seemed to sail through it all. Now I'm disabled to the point I have to use a scooter to get around, it gets lonely, very lonely. I have a little dog & I worry about who will look after her when I'm.in hospital. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing challenges.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> Breast cancer then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

I have given you a lot of channels to get supporter, but do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge