High blood platelets JAK2 test

• 3 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hello, I'm new. I found out I have high blood platelets from routine FBC. Referred to haematologist who took bloods for iron and JAK2.

Does anyone know how long MRI are taking to process JAK 2 blood test currently? They sent me an appt for 3and half weeks after they'd taken the blood but I'm getting the impression JAK2 takes 6 week

He said I might need bone marrow biopsy which I'm dreading. 

Thanks

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing diagnoses.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ may be different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

I am not going to make an assumption as to what type of blood cancer you have or you are being investigated for as JAK2 testing is used in a few types of blood cancer…….. do you know the type of blood cancer?

With this information I can connect you into the best group for you to get support,

Waiting times are very specific to where you stay. I have never er had a JAK2 test so no idea how long this takes…. but some of my tests have taken hours to come back and others 6 weeks Rolling eyes

I have had many Bone Marrow Biopsies (BMB) and they have all been fine… a little sting were the local anaesthetic goes in and and some pushing to get the core…… do talk this through with the nurse doing the BMB as they can give you something to calm your nerves…… I never did take anything as I then had to drive 4 hr home back to Inverness.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike and thanks for reply.  You have been through the wars!

He's apparently checking for myeloproliferative s which seems to encompass everything. All my other tests were normal but he did say iron was low end of normal so he's doing iron investigation bloods. I've had a bit of blurry vision and the odd nosebleed but no other symptoms. I kind of thought they'd just tell me to take an aspirin a day and come back in a year as I feel fine. 

I think I've got ET but that's just from googling my blood results!

The bloods he's done haven't come in my patient access which is annoying but I've sent a message to Macmillan re how to access those in my area.

• Hi again  we all do what is needed to get out of the dark tunnel and into the light.

As I said the Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Specific Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated ‘Other’ Blood Cancers support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> MDS/MPN/ET/PV/myelofibrosis (MF) then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You can also look though all the discussions and as always hot reply to any post in the group.

I am out for most of the day but so will keep an eye open for you in the group.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge