Recent diagnosis of Prostate cancer

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hello everybody,This is all new to me. I have recently had a diagnosis of Prostate Cancer with a Gleason score of 9. As you will all imagine this came as a shock however after all sorts of scans it was confirmed this week that it is localized in the prostate and not spread. Phew!  I have just started hormone treatment with a view to having radiotherapy in the new year. I would love to hear the experiences of other of this course of treatment and how it has affected them- tiredness, emotions,muscle mass and body stuff.

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Community 

The community is divided up into forums or chat rooms which are cancer specific and in view of your diagnosis I would advise you to join the Prostate cancer forum . To do this just click on the link I have provided and once the page opens up, click on "join" at the bottom of the page on the black banner. You will be able to then introduce yourself to the Community by either copying and paste or reposting the original post in the "New to the Community" section.

You will receive a warm welcome from the Community members - I should know I am one of them and also a Gleason 9 on hormone therapy and radiotherapy. I look forward to meeting you later in the Prostate forum.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi , Grump the Daddy, As many of the guys on here including myself  have been through what you have just started here goes, firstly great news your cancer in confined to the prostate and you have started HT. I can see you have done a little research, Almost everyone gets possible side effects, not all and to different degrees, the most likely are fatigue, emotional changes, hot flushes and urinary incontinence which all get better with time, there are others like weight gain, man boobs and erection issues. Like i said not everybody gets them, indeed a few seem to avoid them. but a small price to pay for the benefits, the best advice we could give is for you to get as fit as you can as it will be a big help when the fatigue starts. the standard radiotherapy "RT" is 20 treatments which can add to your fatigue, Grumpy the Daddy i wish you well on your cancer journey and welcome to the forum, take care, Eddie