Hello, I am new here.

• 4 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi al

I am new here just having been diagnosed on the 8th November 2023 with Adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus.  My head is a bit of a spinning top at the moment. I am not sure about much at the moment, but I have been told I am not a candidate for surgery. I have to go for a CT scan I don't know if that is to see if the cancer has spread I don't know. I know chemo and radiotherapy was mentioned, but If they had taken away the cancer via an EMR I had done two weeks previously,  if I would still need this treatment or not. I have so many questions and no answers at the moment.

As anyone else here had this before?

Scrappydo 

• Hi, I just wanted to say, unfortunately I've no experience with the cancer you question. Same with any really, as I am also new to the group. 

9 days ago, I was diagnosed with anaplastic large cell lymphoma. This was a long 12 month drawn out diagnosis, due to the rarity of the lymphoma. 6 days ago I started chemo, and was released from hospital after a 6 week stay, with severe complications. 

First off, try not to panic. Chase up your medical team. Be open and honest. These things take time. There's always scans involved. This will become the norm to check progress and to aid diagnosis. Again, all Normal. 

I'm having my own concerns with an upset stomach. Feeling very tired and sore from staples. Then I'm less than 1 week into my first dose of chemo.  Does it get easier.  My glands under my jaw feel massive.  It's where the chemo taste seems to come from. My heart rate is always very fast? I'm really just not feeling well already. My wound in my groin is also very painful 

I really hold my head high, to anyone having to fight this.  Hands down the hardest battle to date.  

Any ways.  Save me going on.  I wish everyone the best of luck.  And thank you. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Having a cancer diagnosis is certainly good for getting your head spinning but most people find that once they know exactly what their treatment plan is they feel more in control.

The online community is divided into different support groups and I can see that you've already joined and posted in the oesophageal cancer group, and had lots of replies. 

When you feel up to it, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you have any problems finding your way around the community just reply to this post and I'll do my best to help.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  and a warm welcome to you as well.

It sounds like you're going through a tough time at the moment so thanks for taking the time to reply to Scrappdo.

There are various lymphoma groups within the online community where you can ask questions, share experiences and get support. I don't know which one yours falls in to but if you click here you can see the various groups that we have.

To join the appropriate group just click on it's title which will take you directly there. Once you've joined you can start a new post or join in with existing conversations as you did here.

Completing your profile helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Click on your username and then select 'Profile' to add details which you can amend at any time. If you're not sure what sort of thing to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  and a second welcome to the Macmillan Community although sorry to hear about your Lymphoma diagnosis.

I am Mike and I help out around our Lymphoma groups. I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low Grade T-Cell Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

There are over 60 types and sub-types of Lymphoma so we can’t have a group for every type but as ALCL is a type of T-Cell Lymphoma you may want to join our dedicated  T-cell lymphomas support group as there have been a few folks with ALCL pass through the group.

You may also want to look at our General Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma as there have been folks with ALCL pass through this group also.

I will keep an eye open for you in the groups.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge