Hi from a new community member

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Please excuse the long post,  I have just joined the online community and I'm hoping to find and give support and friendship from other members.

I am 47 and after a emergency admission to hospital for what my GP thought was a blocked bowel I was diagnosed with Myeloma, which came as a total shock (I am one of the people it doesn't show up on blood tests).

I started weekly chemotherapy whilst in hospital and am now home, having chemotherapy at the hospital chemotherapy unit and in 2 weeks I will be moving to chemotherapy provided at home by a nurse.

I have been told that this part of the chemotherapy will last until mid Feb and then I will be taken back into a bigger hospital for intensive old skool chemotherapy before my stem cells are removed and I will then be moved back to my normal hospital and go into an isolation room and have my stem cells transferred back. It has been explained to me that Myeloma is not curable but is treatable and that it will likly come back but I will kept a close eye on meaning any future treatment needed would happen much quicker. They have also explained that advances in treatment for Myeloma has come forward in leaps and bounds.

Being honest I feel like poo, I swing between being positive, I've git this, I'm strong etc. to being scared, angry and confused. My symptoms vary daily, some days I'm not to bad and other days like yesterday they are awful, the fatigue, dizziness, feeling faint, weird mouth, pain etc.

In the last 2 years life hasn't been great, I went through a large court case as a victim of historic abuse, I got divorced after a 20 year marriage which caused a lot of friends to take sides and my step Grandson was born sleeping and now this, I really don't know how much more I can cope with.

I have a new partner who lives with me and who is a lot younger than me, who is lovely but who doesn't do emotion, he really is being amazing but it's still a new relationship and is obviously very hard on him too. My mum has mental health issues and as her only child I am usually the person who supports her both emotionally and practically. I am lucky to have a couple of good friends but in all honesty I feel very alone and I am hoping through this online community to find other people who understand how all this feels and ideally support each other to be strong, have a laugh and be there for each other. 

Love and gentle hugs to all

• Hi  I am Mike and I help out around our various blood cancer groups, I see that you have already joined and put up your post in our dedicated Myeloma support group so I will put up a more detailed reply in the post.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge