New diagnosis... I don't know what to do and I'm terrified

• 9 replies
  • 38 subscribers

So I posted on here a few days ago... not sure if this is the correct place to post again but today I have been told that I have either breast cancer or leukaemia. I'm devastated Weary and now await further tests to see which one and what happens next. I'm terrified they will say it's spread, they can't help me and I'm going to die.

• Hi again  sorry to hear that you are still waiting for a clear diagnosis. Breast Cancer and Leukaemia are ever so different so let’s look for you to get answers very soon.

You have joined and posted in the Breast Cancer group and if required we have a number of Leukaemia groups.

The problem is there are different types of Leukaemia’s so it’s best that I know the type so I can get you in the right place as there are different treatments for different types of Leukaemia’s.

I know this journey ever so well as I was diagnosed with a very rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (another type of blood cancer) way back in 1999 eventually reaching stags 4 in late 2013……. but I am still here talking with you and I am turning 68 next month and still living a great life.

Take a breath…. and another and let’s look for clarity soon.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line that is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides emotional guidance or just a listening ear.

I am hear also so do keep talking and let’s look to get you on a treatment plan soon ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for replying again. Your words and story bring me calm and confidence that something can be done. I'm so scared they can't help it  consuming me 

• It’s important that you have a clear diagnosis, this unfortunately can take time but you are in the system and once you have that clear diagnosis your clinical professionals will get you on the best treatment track.

As I said I was stage 4 in late 2013, my condition became very aggressive but the treatments available are amazing and stopped my cancer in its tracks.

When are your next appointments, what types of tests are you having?

Remember call the helpline - it will help you a lot ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you I will. I'm so scared.

• Have you been given a date for your next appointment?…….. you would not be human if you were not scared…… but there are 1000s of people spread across this community who have been in the exact same position and are now out the other end of treatments.

Here are some links that may be of interest to you at some point. 

Worried about cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

Going for tests | Macmillan Cancer Support

…….. and if you have not done this - call our support line as it’s good to ‘talk’ this through ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike. My mother is diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and I joined the community today. I'm so touched by your story. It gives me hope. I know everyone's journey is different. I'm just so pleased you're here, after all you've been through, to tell us.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to you but sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis. 

Yes the journey can be ever so different for everyone and with different cancer but we must cling onto Hope at all times…… it is amazing what treatments are out there.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Specific Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same support journey.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your mum you may benefit from joining and posting in our Carers only support group where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post. You can also scroll through other members posts and click “Reply” to get involved.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

Do remember the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 and we also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further, want to chat or need more help navigating the community ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the helpful information. I've joined the new group and will make use of some of your other suggestions. I found ask an expert really good. I used them before joining here.

• Good to hear that you found our Expert team helpful……. there are lots of platforms to make the journey that more manageable ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge