Lung cancer

• 10 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi I’m new here, my MIL has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer , as a family we are struggling to help her make informed choices because we don’t seem to be getting any answers from anywhere , she’s had lots of tests but no answers it feels almost like we are just being strung along , we are all feeling helpless and I’m just looking to see if anyone has been through this or is feeling this to x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your mother-in-law has been diagnosed with lung cancer and that you feel that you're not getting any answers from her hospital team.

The online community is divided up into different support groups so I'm going to recommend that you join the lung cancer group as that will give you the chance to ask questions and share experiences about diagnosis and treatment with others who have this type of cancer. 

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you feel up to it, it would be great if you could put something about your mother-in-law's diagnosis and tests to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Lil, I'm new here too... Sorry to hear about your MIL being diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer; I have been too.....Been going through chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment since February and now having to consider Immunotherapy. I hope that (though so late) that I can help - So none of you need to feel helpless alone..... Having personally gone through various disabilities / ailments since I was born, I empathize with you x

• Thank you for replying, unfortunately she was only given a prognosis of 6 months life expectancy, she is having chemo with immunotherapy but there is no option for surgery or radiotherapy, I just feel they are giving up on her as they have said if she doesn’t want chemo she doesn’t have to , we know they are not trying to save her but no one will tell us what exactly they are aiming for it’s just all so overwhelming and confusing

• Hi  and welcome to the community

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to Lil x.

Can I recommend that you also join the lung cancer group where you'll be able to give and receive support.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I am appreciative that you got back to me Lil, and Thank You for doing so; and was told that I wouldn't survive by having an operation, as I have COPD, that I would die anytime from then (February) to 2 years if I didn't do anything regarding tackling the cancer.

On the McMillan website is valid information about all of them.... To be more specific..

With regards to feeling like your MIL is being given up upon,,,,, (All it is about) giving the patient a choice, and NOT taking it away from the person(s) or those concerned.
    My experience is that just because someone works in the medical profession, it doesn't mean that they will not be overworked, or more concerned about their own stresses.
    (Fortunately), I am aware only because I have had to visit hospital as an in-patient and out-patient for 62 years.....Back in the day when Matrons were the rulers.
    If there is anything that you are unsure about, please feel free to ask me and I will get back to you, and I hope that my reply is/and reassuring for you all.
  • Hi Latchbrook, I hope that you are as well as can be, and Thank You for suggesting that I join the lung cancer group (which I did yesterday).

I joined the group not only to help myself, but to help others.....Over time I hope that other people in the group will see and know that I am their voice too.

As I was a volunteer in in my local area, have volunteered at Paralympics 2012, Invictus Games 2014 and hosted 8 street parties in my local area before moving, I will consider what you have mentioned.

Thanks for your introduction.

• Hi  

Before I replied to you I checked your activity and groups and couldn't see that you'd joined the lung cancer group, hence my recommendation.

To join the lung cancer group, click on the link in my previous reply and then, once the group page opens, click on 'Click to Join' when the black banner appears or 'Join' under 'Group Tools' depending on the type of device you are using.

If you need any help navigating the community just drop me a reply and I'll be happy to help.

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Latchbrook, no problem.... I joined late last night and just checked whether I have been administered. Guess it was the only way that I saw Lils concerns.

Nevertheless, I just tried to join by clicking the link on your previous reply and it says that I have already joined;

Thanks for getting back to me. x

• I've just checked  and you are indeed now a member of that group Slight smile

Community Champion Badge

• Thank You for the confirmation......It's ready, steady from hereGrinning