Newbie, scary symptoms. Living alone.

• 3 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi All,

Ive had a recent diagnosis of Anal Cancer.  Tumour is 10cm at least and spread into rectum and colon.  Awaiting MRI and CT scan results to see if spread is further, so it’s not looking great.  Also struggling with lots of pain, nausea and a tingling sensation in my abdomen and legs.  I am finding it all really scary especially as I live on my own.

I’m 49 years old and can’t sleep due to the symptoms and the worry.  I’ve come here to try to find someone to talk to, maybe a distraction from the uncomfortableness and reassurance, though I realise none of this is positive news.

The tingling in my coccyx and legs really worries me, I was also finding it did to urinate.  I’ve ruled it a UTI with my GP and will speak to the Colorectal Nurses when they’re back in work.

Just to add insult to injury, my boiler packed up yesterday too, so I’m currently wearing a few layers and huddled near a money guzzling fan heater!!

• Hi  and a welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your diagnoses. 

A cancer journey is such a stressful and challenging time but you have done the right thing in reaching out to a place where you can ask questions and getting support from others who are on the ‘exact’ same cancer and journey.

The Community is divided into support groups (discussion rooms), I can see that you have already joined and posted in our  Anal cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

The Macmillan Support Line is open from 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 where you can talk with someone about specific cancer and practical information, get emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just connect with a listening ear.  We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

We also have our Telephone Buddy Service where you can be matched with someone who understands what you're going through, and they'll give you a weekly call.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and aim to give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi my name is Bunny Girl (not really!)

I joined this group because I have anal cancer and thought I might find tips how to manage and perhaps offer some of my own.

I have just finished 28 sessions of radiotherapy and chemo by tablets. I just have to wait and see now what is going to happen next. Seeing the Consultant early August.

I do not want to frighten anyone but the radiotherapy has been pretty grim as I was told it would be.

What treatment have you been scheduled for?  

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses and journey.

This post is over 2 years old and I see that  went on to connect in with our supports groups but they may still be looking into the community.

As you can see from my post above the Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Anal and Bowel Cancer support groups as these groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the links below……..

Anal cancer

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

…… then once the group pages open click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge