New and not sure where to start

• 2 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi.. I’m Lu, I live with my parents and my mum has just been diagnosed with lung cancer .. 3 years ago she had bowel cancer which was removed with surgery.. in January this year she was diagnosed with stage 1 womb cancer but on Thursday she was diagnosed with lung cancer .. she is very stoic but I’m feeling overwhelmed and guilty.. I feel I should be with her as much of the time as possible but I feel I need to carry on as normally as possible.. I really just want some advice on the best way to help my family through this .. thankyou 

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your mum has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer and I know what a difficult time this will be for the whole family.

The online community is divided up into different support groups so you might like to join the family and friends group which is a safe and supportive place for anyone who has a loved one or friend living with cancer.

To join the group just click on the link I've created and then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'. 

There is lots of useful information produced by Macmillan and you might like to take a look at this on emotional support for family and friends. It gives helpful advice on how to support someone with cancer as well as help on dealing with your own emotions.

When you feel ready it would be great if you could pop something about your mum's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you have any difficulty navigating the community just drop me a reply and I'll be pleased to help.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thankyou so much for responding so quickly I will do that