oesophageal cancer and lung cancer

• 3 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi, I'm not sure how or what you are supposed to say in these groups, but basically my granny has been I'll for a while and just got sent home from hospital. She has been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer which has spread to her lungs, she is 83 which I feel guilty even feeling bad about as she is older than most people usually reach with cancer. But this woman has been my rock since I was born, she is my dads mum and the only stable person I had growing up ( my mum and dad are good people but have there own problems). She has tought me everything I know, including how to do winged eyeliner which i think is crazy and i love it. But now with this diagnosis, which I was expecting I dont know how to make her feel better if that makes sense. Shes home now which is the best feeling as she has always said she will not die in hospital, but my dad is a wreck, he is calm around her but hes hurting so much and I dont know how to make things better. I know I cant save her but any advice on how to care for her and my dad and make these last few months the best would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

• Hi  and warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community although sorry that you had to find us and especially sorry to hear about your granny’s diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis in the family can be challenging in so many ways but talking with others who are walking the same type of cancer treatment journey will help you navigate this difficult time.

The Community is organised into cancer specific support groups so can I recommend you join our supportive Gullet (oesophagus) cancerrain tumour and Lung, secondary cancer group as this will be a good place to connect with patients and families navigating the same type of cancer treatment journey.

To join a group just click on the link above then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens.

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘New Thread’ or hit the box with the X on the top right (phones), you could just copy and paste the text from this your first post. You can also join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'. 

When it comes to the practical challenges of supporting someone you may benefit from talking with others caring for family and friends so do check out our Carers only and supporting someone with incurable cancer group groups as you will connect with others supporting family and friends through their cancer journey.

It’s always good to talk so do call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service can give lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Dear Twentytree

I am also new to these lovely supporting people.  I am sorry for you dear Grannie's cancer diagnosis.  You will receive a lot more support now.  The most you can do is be there for your Granny and your Dad.  You probably have more strength than you 'don't know'!  You are your Grannie's grandaughter after all.  Keep being as I'm sure, your sweet self.  Try to hold on to positive nice things in life, the nice smells, ice-cream, flowers, soothing music, sitting in the garden in the sun.  Kisses, hugs, holding hands, plenty of sleep.  Try to eat well and hydrate well.  I am only ordinary Mum and housewife, caring for my husband, he has lung in remission at the moment after difficult battle through these past 3 years and the pandemic.  It's not easy.  My faith helps me.  I hope my small words of wisdom helps you.  Our Macmillan nurses and Marie Curie nurses are a rock for us also.  Thank you.  Take care hugs for you dear. xxx

Sueton xx

• Hi  and welcome to you as well and sorry you had to find your way to the community.

I see you have joined our Family and friends group but as you may know we have lots of Cancer specific groups and Cancer experience groups.

The help line is always there is you just need to talk with a friendly person on the other end.

Do get back to me if you need any specific help ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge