My Mum

• 2 replies
  • 59 subscribers

My Mum was diagnosed with what we thought was Ovarian Cancer two weeks ago. This was a huge shock to all of us. Mum did not take the diagnosis well she stopped eating, got very angry and unwilling to talk about anything. Fast forward to last weekend.   She was admitted to Hospital on Sunday with a blood clot in her leg. This we hoped was a god send. She would get looked after, she would hopefully get some more information from the Gynae team etc etc. Well she did she got her CT done met some Docs there was hope of Chemo and a Hysterectomy she sounded more positive and started eating again. Brilliant we thought. Well she got home last night and my sister called to tell me the cancer is in her stomach lining, womb, lymph nodes and some tiny spots in her lungs. So no operation now. They are going to give her chemo I assume to try and reduce tumours and give her some comfort. She goes in next week so see another consultant. The thing is am scared to ask any questions. Is she getting chemo next week or is it just another chat? How much chemo will they give her. I don’t want to know how long we have with her. I can’t stop crying. I don’t know what to do for the best. I don’t know how to support her and my dad and my sister. I am 48 by the way with 3 adult boys who are trying to take in the news and deal with their devastated mum. I don’t know how to get through this feeling of utter loss and support her as best I can while I have the chance. Thanks for reading. Apologies if anything spelt wrong am crying as I type. X

• Hi  and warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community although sorry that you had to find us and especially sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis and the speed that things are moving,

A cancer diagnosis in the family brings many questions, much confusion and lots of stress but talking with others who are walking the same type of journey will help you navigate this challenging time.

The Online Community is organised into various Cancer specific Groups, these will be good places to connect with patients and families navigating the same type of cancer journey.

Have a look through the list then to join a group just choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens.

You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘New Thread’ or hit the box with the X on the top right (phones), you could just copy and paste the text from this your first post. You can also join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'. 

Talking with others caring for family and friends will help a lot so do check out our Family and friends and Carers only groups as you will connect with others walking the same journey supporting family and friends through their cancer journey.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Try to stay strong for your mum my wife is in the same position and yes it is very hard and heartbreaking I hate seeing my wife like this but I have to be strong for her as you do for your mum I no it’s harder than you think but you can do it