Shocked with Dads diagnosis

• 1 reply
  • 60 subscribers

Hi Im new but wanted to read as much as possible about oesophegal cancer.

My dad mentioned a few week ago he was having the camera down. Then last week a scan.

I tried to get more info but he wasnt telling me much. 

My partner took him for an appointment last wednesday where he was told he had cancer. Luckily it has not spread.

He had mentioned hed a hernia but was told me may have barretts oesophagus. 

He had a pet scan this Monday so now waiting results

I am very close to Dad so uttetly shocked and hearbroken. He is 75 but very active and still works often. 

It seems this support grpup really helps lots of people and can share experiences. 

Lets hope we have lots of positive moments.

• Hi  and welcome to the Macmillan Online Community although sorry that you needed to find us and especially sorry to hear about your dad’s diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis in the family brings many questions, confusion and lots of stress but talking with other people who are walking the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster.

The Community is organised into dedicated support groups and I see you have already joined our supportive Gullet (oesophagus) cancerrain tumour group, this will be a good place to connect with both patients and family navigating the same type of cancer journey.

To go to the group just click on the link above then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘New Thread’ or hit the box with the X on the top right (phones), you could just copy and paste the text from this your first post. You can also join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'. 

Talking with others caring for family and friends will help a lot so do check out our Family and friends as you will connect with others walking the same journey supporting family and friends through their cancer journey.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

All the very best

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge