Is MLD effective at treating lymphodoema?

• 1 reply
  • 5 subscribers

Hi all - I’m new here and have recently been diagnosed with lymphodoema in my right hand/arm after surgery ( mastectomy and lymph node clearance)  plus radiotherapy. Having had a mastectomy/ lymph node clearance and reconstruction on the other side 20years ago, and managing to avoid getting it for all that time, this has come as a heavy blow to me. The self drainage technique sheets with which I was issued assume that I have lymph nodes in the other side and although the BC nurse has assured me that “I can’t damage myself” trying to offload the lymph to that side, I have serious doubts. My area does not give MLD treatment on the NHS because, apparently a randomised research project in 2015 found no difference was made. Why is it offered at all if this is the case? What are people’s experiences of it? I am considering looking for private treatment but obviously won’t want to pay for something that is futile.At the moment I feel very confused about how to do self lymphatic drainage and worry that I’m not doing it correctly.

• Hi

Unfortunately I can't help you with your question, having not had lymphoedema myself, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet.

I've found this information for you from Macmillan on MLD treatment which also has a couple of links to organisations that can help you find a qualified MLD therapist if your NHS lymphoedema clinic doesn't provide this.

You might also want to post this question in the breast cancer group, which I can see you're a member of, as I'm sure there'll be people their who will have experienced lymphoedema who can help you further.

Wishing you all the best x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"