Has any one been asked this during their journey

• 24 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Afternoon Every One

Siting here thinking, like i do some times.

When my husband was in Hospital, the Doctor came round and asked him, if he had a DNR in place, which he did not, and because he had lost his voice, the Doctor asked him, would he like one put in place, my husband nodded Yes, i said to hubby, do you understand what the Doctor is asking , again he noddy yes.

Threw this journey no  one has ever asked me that, though i will be asking my GP and Oncologist the question, but i siting thinking, what do i answer. 

• Hi All, Not sleeping and was having a look around the Macsite. This was the first time I had seen this.

When I was first diagnosed my GP asked if my husband and I would come in for a chat at the end of his morning surgery. Then there would be no rush as no one would be waiting. We agreed and he said he wanted to disgus things while I was still well enough to let him know my wishes. He asked about a DNA and I said yes as long as there was nothing more that could be done for me and I had no other options. He also asked about Power of Attorney for Finance and Health which we had already discussed with our solicitor. The other questions were related where I would prefer to die, at home or at a hospice. 

However after being on a Trial Drug for over 3 years when my prognosis was 5-7months, I asked my GP to remove the DNA order which he did with pleasure right away. He also said it could be reinstated whenever I felt it necessary.

These conversations were very difficult but I did feel relief knowing my husband and I had discussed these things. Heaven knows when we would have got around to that discussion without my GP forcing the issue, I don't know!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Well!!! Did you spot the deliberate mistake? A good friend pointed it out to me! I put DNA instead of DNR.

My friend didn't want to chastise me in public, so sent me a PM. How thoughtful is that!

Anyway I have no problem in admitting I made a mistake and I am an idiot. So I'm in good company here!!!! Sorry

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • It was no me that told you, but I did notice it, your still a naughty wee lassie lol

• One afternoon last February I opened my eyes in my bedroom and said, 'Oh, hello doctor '. My GP said I was end of life and that I should consider DNR and statement of intent (so that when I snuffed it it didn't become a police matter for my poor partner). I had known I was ill for only a few weeks. I agreed. I slept on and off for the rest of the day, now and then waking for tearful conversations with my partner. Then I thought through the fog, hang on I don't really want to die. If I can go up and down stairs maybe I'm not dying. So I did. Long story short I didn't die, and recovered enough to be able to go swimming in the sea. At this point, I recinded the DNR, as should I accidentally drown resuscitation might now work for me, and I still want to live. I am now living with a short prognosis. Don't be afraid of DNR. It's not the DNR that kills you.