Stage 4 breast cancer

• 37 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi. Just joined this group. 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. Yesterday I had my first appointment with an oncologist. They told me that additional tests have shown the cancer has spread to my adrenal gland and spine. It is incurable. I will have chemotherapy though starting in 2-3 weeks time. I'm a positive person and have dealt quite well with the diagnosis I had before yesterday as it felt fixable. I'm now feeling rather shocked and I'm not sure, almost, what to do with myself or the information. It's scary. I posted on the breast cancer forum and had a reply recommending this forum so here I am.

Xx

• Thank you for your replies Moi2, Annette and Eddie. Nice to know some 'entertainment' is ok and I hadn't thought about clothing. 

I'm flitting between feeling I can accept all this and be ok and feeling scared - about the prognosis that is, not the chemo. I guess that's normal and will settle. The weekend has been overwhelming with calls and messages. Managing friends has been exhausting but they are just showing love. I guess that will settle too? 

Love to all xx

• Hi Liz, Yes you will be fine! I usually put something light, like a summer top or blouse and take a fleece or cardigan with me and wear comfortable trousers.

i usually find hospitals etc too hot but sometimes you can feel cold due to a draft or even nerves! So best to be prepared!

I only told my family and very close friends after dx, I can imagine how overwhelmed you must feel with everyone asking you the same questions! Maybe you could just tell everyone IF you have anything new happen, you will tell them and maybe you will get some peace!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Morning Annette, I am sorry to hear it's nerve damage, can I ask did you get my Email on the 29th of June?. I know you had to delete some and wondered if it was accidentally deleted.

love Eddie xx 

• Morning Liz,  telling family and friends is tough, going through your prognosis again and again is difficult and emotional, but I think personally it's the best thing to do as the emotional support they can give when you need it is so important, PS I did lose some "friends", like many of us did, though you will find you meet some wonderful people too, 

Eddie xx 

• Hi Liz,  hard job telling family and friends, as said before you may loose some friends, the word cancer just frightens them. Their the one's I just leave I don't have the time or energy to waste on them. But as Annette has said once there all told you diagnosis any updates can be told to a very trusted person, for them to pass to the rest of your family and friends.Saves you any more upset, and going over and over again. I found this hard at first but now, well I just get on with it. What are you upto today. I'm having my treatment at home this afternoon so my nurse comes with all her gear and we have a good natural and a cup of coffee. After it's done I have a lay down for an hour as feel tired after treatment. Have a good day, xx
    • Moi
  • Hi  

Good news you've got a date for your chemo starting. I usually took a blanket to put on the chair as they are usually wipe clean vinyl and it's just more comfortable. One of my bags of chemo gave a cold sensation up my arm so it was helpful for that as well. I took things to read for something to do. One arm will be out of action and resting on a pillow so if you like crafts, knitting etc, that won't be any good. Headphones, if you like podcasts, music etc. 

Just wanted to give you an idea but you will probably have a pre assessment with the chemo nurses and they will give you lots of information. I didn't bother with cold capping to try to keep my hair. I didn't fancy the pain of brain freeze and the results can be patchy. Some people have good results though, everyone is different.

Chemotherapy forum   This is a link to a forum which may be useful for you. Best wishes for your treatment.

A x

• Hi tili2244 thank you for reacting to my reply. As we have never chatted, I just wanted to welcome you!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!