Hi everyone from another newbie!

• 35 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Morning, 

I’ve replied to some posts in the last couple of days but thought I’d say Hello to everyone . 

I’m  52 and  was diagnosed  with Stage 3 Hormone Pos BC in Oct 2018. I had the full works , mastectomy, chemo , radiotherapy and Tamoxifen. For a couple of years I was then in and out of hospital due to infections from Radiotherapy including sepsis . i went on long term antibiotics and eventually the infections stopped around Nov 2021.  

I got around 18 months with a break and then in July 2023 was rushed to hospital with pains. After an ultrasound they said I had a gall bladder infection but had seen a shadow on my liver and sent me for a cat scan as a precaution due to my history . They thought it was just inflammation but it was obvious it was cancer when I had the CAT scan. 5 weeks later after several appointments and a Liver biopsy, I was diagnosed with BC in the liver stage 4 with a prognoses of 2-5 years.  It was a huge shock as I’d had no symptoms and one of the tumours was 9cm! 

I have since been on the targeted drug Verzenio and Letrozole. The first scan in November shows that the tumours had shrunk by 25% which was  great news and all the side effects were worth it. 

Just before Xmas 23, the gall bladder problem flared up again and I ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with sepsis and had to have my gall bladder removed . I was lucky to survive the ordeal and it was touch and go . I even got a visit from the priest at one point! 

Anyway , I have just had my second scan and everything is still stable which is great news ! I am now trying to enjoy life while I can on good days and have just been to Portugal on a mini break. I intend to travel as much as I can this year . I’m taking it scan by scan and trying not to think too far ahead as you don’t know what new drugs will be available in the future . I ‘m also determined toutlive my little doggy Alfie as he’d be lost without me along with my hubby! 

• Hi Sammyharry my pleasure to reach out to you, I'm sure you will be doing it yourself soon. yes it's great we are in the stable mabel club, though know there will be bumps in the road, I think it is very important to accept your down days and let your feelings out. i always feel better after, There are some ladies on the forum with amazing stories, who have been given months and are still going many years later, I'm sure they will get in touch soon. There are always new treatments and drugs being developed, only today i heard a new immunotherapy drug dostarlimab has been approved for use. PS don't really watch TV but like studying. waiting for results is the worst isn't it and scanxiety is awful, but the worst test ever had anxiety wise was for alzheimers, I'm ok, but never again. Alfie is too cute, I bet everyone wants to stroke him, glad he's only 50% jack russell he will still have some common sense, take care.

Eddie xx

• Hi Eddie, I’m so glad I joined to hear such positive stories as well. I tried counselling but it just wasn’t for me . I read about new drugs as well and it seems there’s many trials going on so I’m hopeful . I know it’s not curable but hopefully, these drugs will give us longer time to do things that we love! Oh that must have been awful waiting for the Alzheimer’s result. I sadly lost my dad to that awful disease during Covid .but that’s another story . Cry Thank god that was a good outcome for you! Alfie is so cheeky but adorable , he has a fan club Joy . I’m not sure he has any common sense though! Take care x

• Hi Sammyharry, so sorry you lost your dad to Alzheimer's, please don't take this the wrong way but give me cancer every time. I was in healthcare for 15 years and came across it many times truelly awful as you say. I can believe Alfie has a fan club, My horrible little oik, a plain jane compared to Alfie, but i love her, is everyone's best friend and gets more Xmas presents than me.

Eddie xx

• Aww I know Eddie, it was horrendous honestly and probably is worse but they don’t know it. It’s awful for the family to go through . He’s in the best place but I think about him everyday. Cry Aww your little doggie sounds such a cutie . I love him as much as the rest of my family Joy. Have a good evening , I’m off to watch some crappy TV Joy. It was lovely to chat. Take care x

• Hi SammyH, Just found your post and wanted to say welcome to this supportive Group. You can say it the way it is here because we're all in the same boat. We don't want to upset our family any more than we have by telling them the diagnosis!

A Target Trial drug has given me a lot of years past my sell by date! I can't say it's been easy but I am enjoying watching our grandchildren grow. Something I never thought I would see!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Thanks lots Ulls Grinning Really good to have found you guys n gals. Hope you had a lovely Easter too

• Hi Annette, Thank you for reaching out . Yes, I’m so glad I have found this group ! It is difficult sometimes with family as they are full of emotion as well and I don’t want to upset them . I know you guys will be here when I have the even tougher times as well but  it’s so encouraging to hear these positive stories! Blush I’m so chuffed for you . I’m like a cat with nine lives as well after my sepsis episodes on top of the big C ! Anyway , I’m having a nice glass of wine and watching Married at First sight now. I love trashy TV Blush Take care xx

• Hello SammyH, sorry I'm late welcoming you but you' are very  welcome here. You have defo been through the mill. All I'll say is we are here to let of steam to each othere support and chat and laughter with each othere. Please be kind to yourself  just listen to your body. Oh enjoy your glass of wine with me, yes I enjoy a wine or two as you know we have to live our lives as best we can. Keep posting Oh yes I'm  about 3 and 1/2 years over my sell by date. Love eating out, shopping and a little wine and chat.  XX

Moi

• Hi Moi, 

Yes we need to laugh as well as cry!  Yes, there’s no harm in a wine or 2 if you’re having a good day  I’m looking forward to finishing work now Blushmy pension has been sorted today so I leave at the end of the month and will enjoy the summer the best I can with lots of little breaks I hope!  It’s one stress I can get rid of! Blush There great news that you’re well past your sell by date , hope I will be too! Take care x

• Morning Sammyharry, hope you are ok, good to hear your retiring soon, i was lucky to be able to retire at 54, nearly 4 years now, and finally a couple of the ladies have been in touch, their so inspiring, Alfie won't believe his luck when you finish work, take care

Eddie xx