First post

• 29 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi Folks,

Im 48 years old and in May I was diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer. 

Its been a weird, tough journey so far.

Im on cycle 4 of 6 of the chemo... ups and downs with side effects. Some very bad days, some good days. 

My wife is an incredible support, I honestly dont know what I would do without her. My kids are 16 and 13.

The hardest part about all of this is knowing that at some point, much sooner than I ever would have thought, I will be leaving them. 

Ive never really been an overly emotional person.... though these days it's rare for a day to pass without crying. Sometimes for no reason at all (I blame the chemo :) ). 

Im not depressed, I just wildly fluctuate between upbeat and positive and... well.. crying. 

The fatigue is hard too... sooooo tired, far too much of the time. 

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I hope anyone reading this is doing as well as they possibly can be in the situation. 

• Thanks for that... apologies for not reading your profile... not used to this yet :D

My oncologist is excellent, I am very lucky. Im also taking Niv with Cx as my first line but after 6 cycles move to just Niv as maintenance for a few years. Hoping it keeps the pesky unruly cells at bay!

• Hi AusrinT, sorry about late response but I've been on holiday, we get miffed about leaving the club early unless they are cured so don't think about doing that, my end by date has come and gone like every on hear, put cacer on the back burner enjoy you life with your family.

• Thank you that's a good way to think and really encouraging. None if us know really do we, I need to stop worrying you're right. I needed to hear that thank you 

• Hi Ulls sorry I think I jumped in on your response the Austin. Still getting used to this platform 

• Hi Austin

It's incredibly tough isn't it. Every time I relapse it's like huge blow and the reality of what I'm living with kicks in. This time has been the worst as the lines of treatment are diminishing. Finding some peace is my end goal so I can at least 'enjoy' what's left. Your family sound amazing. Take care and I hope today's a good day

• Sorry to hear what you are going through. I have stage 4 bowel cancer which has moved to my liver and lung. No more treatments for me to try. On chemo tabs for palliative care only. Try to stay positive but this last month has been difficult. I know I'm getting worse. I get very angry sometimes. I also feel guilty that my family are having to go through this. Will keep fighting and trying to smile everyday for as long as lm able.

Keep fighting. 

• My family are amazing. Im very very lucky... Well in that respect anyway :D 

• Sorry to hear this. Sounds like a tough time for sure. I totally empathise with how it makes you feel to see your family has to go through it. It really sucks. But yeah we just have to keep fighting and smile when we can. Take care of yourself. 

• No problems Bernie, it happens all the time on our threads, sumtimes it gets very confusing.Thumbsup