First post

• 29 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi Folks,

Im 48 years old and in May I was diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer. 

Its been a weird, tough journey so far.

Im on cycle 4 of 6 of the chemo... ups and downs with side effects. Some very bad days, some good days. 

My wife is an incredible support, I honestly dont know what I would do without her. My kids are 16 and 13.

The hardest part about all of this is knowing that at some point, much sooner than I ever would have thought, I will be leaving them. 

Ive never really been an overly emotional person.... though these days it's rare for a day to pass without crying. Sometimes for no reason at all (I blame the chemo :) ). 

Im not depressed, I just wildly fluctuate between upbeat and positive and... well.. crying. 

The fatigue is hard too... sooooo tired, far too much of the time. 

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I hope anyone reading this is doing as well as they possibly can be in the situation. 

• Thank you Donna. Glad to hear things are going well for you. 

• Sorry to hear about your recent rough time and glad youre out having got such good care. Hope you enjoy the new phone and the subsequent upgrade 

• Chemo and Immuno for me too. Thankfully I am able to eat... most of the time! I was also lucky enough to have some response after the first 3 rounds so thats good. Like yourself I have the same attitude... kick the can as far down the road as possible Smiley

• Hi Austin T

I'm so sorry that you have been given this devastating diagnosis.

What you have said about your feelings really resonate with me. While reading your post, it took me right back to my own diagnosis and my feelings were so very much the same as your own. 

It's great that your wife is a good support to you, my partner is my rock and I couldn't have done this without him.

Please don't feel that giving in is your only option. Keep the faith and never give up the hope.  This time last year, I truly did not expect to be here today but I am, thank goodness!  I still have bad days and days where there are lots of tears, but I still have hope.

Use this time to make memories and to tell your loved ones just how much they mean to you, and remember,  there are always new drugs becoming  available that can extend your life, and , or give you a better quality of life.  Try to stay positive.

My best wishes are sent to you and your family.   Helen x

Helen 
  • Hi Helen. 
    thanks for the kind words. Don’t worry. I’m not giving up on anything.  I want to hang around for my wife and kids for as long as possible 

• Hi Austin, A warm welcome to you. The thing about this group is we've all been where you are now but things do get better, honestly! Lots of us here are well past our expected sell by date, so there's no reason why you can't join us.

At first it is like being on a roller coaster you can't get off. Sometimes it slows down and you have time to catch your breath, then for no apparent reason it speeds up again. There are lots of ups and downs but you learn to go with the flow and take it one day at a time. 
    I hope you will find this group supportive and informative. You can tell us anything you don't want to upset your family saying. You can also celebrate the good days with us! I hope you will post and reply to others posts, whenever you can.

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Austin, sorry I'm late to welcome you, I won't repeat what the others have already told uou, but this group has kept me going so welcome. you can read my profile. I'm on immunotherapy, nivolumab,  I've been stable for 4 years and well past my sell by date. See there is always hope, stay positive and take it day by day. Listen to your body, hungry eat, tired rest ect. Be kind to yourself. Keep posting . XX

Moi

• Thank you for the kind words Annette.

• Great to hear your response has been so good. I will be very happy to get 4 years! After you finished chemo did you move onto Nivolumab maintenance?

• Hi Austin, no Nivolumab was my first line treatment as I also have Lynch syndrome and NICE had just ok'd it  for first line for people with Lynch.. Actually had surgery before any treatment. press my picture and read my profile. I'm so pleased my post helped. There are people on here who have been stable a lot longer than me. We all have diifferant  cancers,   verious treatments and new treatments are often popping up. Put your faith in your oncologist they just want the best for you xx

Moi