Do not resuscitate

• 46 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hello, 

Sorry to bring down the mood, but I am very upset. 
I am due to start chemo on Thu and I’m hoping if I go through it all, it will give me extra time as I look at posts on here and lots of people are beating the odds.

The palliative nurse asked me about resuscitation and I told her my wishes on Monday. Today the forms arrived signed by my doctor together with injections should my pain increase.

Cant help thinking they know something I don’t and it makes it imminent, can’t bring myself to say what ‘it’ is, but I think you know what I mean.

What do others think? Please let me know.

Mags123

• I was a nurse for over 30 years.  Whatever the cause of the end, most patients want it peaceful and with people...I've never witnessed anyone being talked into this.   When my time comes. I'll happily have these and hopefully my parting will be peaceful with my loved ones.  

• I fully agree with you Zarasmum that the way I want to go I have to put up with pain now why should I have it the day I go 

• Interesting topic, my husband was in a hospice for five days, on the Monday us as a family spoke to the doctor, and said you would not let an animal suffering like this,

My hubby, lost his sight, lost ability to talk, breast bone was completely  broken, and cancer had paralyzed his legs,

Syringe driver was put up that night at at 11pm nurse came in with an injection, and said to me are you sure you want, me to give him this, he will never wake up again,

I replied YES  from that moment till 5,05, on the Tuesday night he assed, he was so peaceful at last as the injection had been given that is the position he was in when he passed.

We played music to him   the whole tme, all the kids with there hones, he loved over the rainbow, by Eva Cassidy, 

that's what he passed to and a smile was on his face, if i can say his passing was lovely, it was the piece before that was not,

• This is how I wish to go no need for a painful end, my family know my wishes.
    • Ellie you made Tom's passing as comfortably as possible  xx
    • Moi
  • That is love Ellie.  HeartHeartHeart️ xxx

Moi

• Ho My Ellie of course you did not kill him the cancer did that you just eased his pain, my type of lady my family know my wishes also left to die in pain no way left to die with love YES

• In my experience, injections are given to ease pain and suffering for the person that is already dying. The effects of licensed drugs for pain or to dry up secretions for a person that has lost the ability to swallow or cough are what can hasten the end. For example, an injection given for pain may depress breathing in a dying person that already has shallow breathing. The injections are given to treat and ease symptoms. It is the person's condition which influences their effects.

I felt that this subject needed clarification as it raises issues for loved ones and healthcare professionals. There are no euthanasia drugs used in this country and nothing can be given without consent (which is usually from the family at this late stage). 

A x

• Thank you Annette for your message. Very kind.

Mags223

• Thank you for your reply 

Mags123