Inoperable lung cancer thats spread to the bones

• 19 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hi Everyone, X

I'm a a 56 year old, previously fit as a fiddle woman, who's  been newly diagnosed with lung cancer.

Not sure if I belong here.(I'm sure we all wonder that to begin with)

I've been told it's 'inoperable and spread to the bones'  Is this the same as incurable?

I'm still waiting for the biopsy results, but so far it doesn't look good   This has all happened so fast I'm still in a bit of shock so don't know what to say yet, but just wanted to say hi. and huge hugs to anyone else who's facing an uncertain future.

X

• Hi sorry you have had to come here, though you are most welcomed.

Its not a group any of us wanted to join, but we are here.

You will get a lot of support here, great bunch of people, and we all support each other.

I prefer incurable, terminal for me sounds that's it,

I was diagnosed 6years ago and inoperable, still going just older.

Others will pop in to welcome you, use this group when ever you need a question answered, or about treatments, load of of different knowledge here.

Ellie xx

• Hi Welcome, 

I joined about 18 months ago when I received my incurable diagnosis, at the time I didn't differentiate between incurable and terminal, but I am unexpectedly still here and enjoying the difference. If you check out my biography you will see my journey. But to summarise I was put on palliative treatment and told that I may live over a year. Currently I am on no treatment and, pending latest scan report, in remission.

Best wishes for your treatment and I hope that you enjoy our group, I have found it a lifeline throughout my treatment and beyond. 

Sarah 

• Hi Harebellle I have seen you over on the lung group, but sorry you have had to join us here as well. 
    It is so scary at the very beginning, when you are still waiting for tests results and you feel a bit in limbo. 
    As Ellie has said, there is lots of advice here. I have been in the incurable club for nearly 8 years now. 
    Good luck with the biopsy results. Let us know how you get on x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Helllo Harebell. We all know what you are going through and what you feel like. It's too soon for you not to be in a state but you will start to come to terms with it.

I do know that lung cancer that has spread to the bones iis still lung cancer, its not bone cancer. I have prostate cancer that has spread to the bone, it is still prostate cancer

So we are both a bit better than we first thought.

Terminal is when they have given up on you and there is no more treatment. You are incurable. Not so awful. You will be amazed at what can be done for you now and in the future. 

Got loads of helpful people on here ... And me!

Xx

• Hello Harebelle..

It.is.uncertain as.you.say. I've learned to live.each day.for my.remaining life,.i try not to identity with the disease as i am more than that. There's some interesting sub group's like.artworks here. I find.it therapeutic. .I.was misdiagnosed too, probably curable 5 Years ago but not now. I was angry but ive.accepted theres NOTHING i can.do. Yes, it happens to other people until it.happens to us. But really its.a.global pandemic.

• Hi, welcome to the group, the incurable diagnosis is such a shock. It really rock your emotions  from panic to anger to not believing, but you learn to live with it. There's lots of support and advice on here and it really let's you see your not on your own. Do share you results. Take care X

• Hi
    I've noticed that medics don't use "terminable" now.   I have discovered the pensions and the employment world are yet to catch up.  I received my incurable diagnosis on day 1 because my kidney tumour had just spread to another organ - my lungs in my case.  

At this stage it's very uncertain whilst you wait for a biopsy and then wait for treatment options.  Once you have a way forwards it's much better.  And with time, you have space to come to terms with it yourself.  The shock you are feeling now, and probably will do for a few weeks more, doesn't last forever.  There's lots of new treatment options out there now as many people on here will testify to.  xXx

• Hello Harebelle, Welcome to the group. The first shock wave will pass and you will learn how to get through each day in the best way for you. I was sent home to die after 2 months in hospital and massive surgery. Since then I've been clear of cancer at every scan and I'm still here being bloody minded and have just completed another art course and an exhibition. Never thought that would happen again! Currently not on any treatment. Don't give up and try and keep positive and focussed on life and living it. If you fancy a bit of art, let me know. Hugs to you.  Rainie x

• Feeling a bit down today.

Have had the ^letter'.  It lays it all out. Exactly what is wrong with me,  in black and white, which makes it more real somehow.

It also has, in my opinion, a lovely judgemental piece about when, I smoked, how much I smoked, and when I gave up. 

Which incidentally was over 25 years ago.

Is that really necessary?

I know it's a petty thing to focus on, but it does make me angry.

I wonder if for example people with bowel cancer have  a paragraph in their 'letters' stating how much processed and cured meat they've eaten over a liiftime?

I doubt it somehow.

It seems unfair.

• Oh no.  I totally agree.  It's not appropriate to go into that.  It's just not necessary.  We are where we are.  We can't change the past and you have to work with this consultant going forwards I presume?  Not helpful.  The positive is that you gave up.    Sending hugs.