Inoperable lung cancer thats spread to the bones

• 19 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hi Everyone, X

I'm a a 56 year old, previously fit as a fiddle woman, who's  been newly diagnosed with lung cancer.

Not sure if I belong here.(I'm sure we all wonder that to begin with)

I've been told it's 'inoperable and spread to the bones'  Is this the same as incurable?

I'm still waiting for the biopsy results, but so far it doesn't look good   This has all happened so fast I'm still in a bit of shock so don't know what to say yet, but just wanted to say hi. and huge hugs to anyone else who's facing an uncertain future.

X

• My only hope is, that maybe the lung cancer nurses read these forums, and if enough lung cancer patients complain, maybe this slightly  judgemental, antiquated way of dealing with lung cancer patients will gradually change.

Maybe it will gradually filter through to the consultants as well.

Squeaky wheel and all that.  

• I dont think some doctors do soft skills. Anyhow most smokers don't get lung cancer!. I had a letter 5 Years ago suggesting my vegan diets was behind my iron.deficiency. ' he doesn't eat red meat ' quote. Well i know the reason now why i was deficient.....undetected bowel cancer!

• So sorry Tony.

I obly used bowel cancer as an example. X

I think all cancer is absolutely awful and we should all be treated with compassion and kindness.

I think I'm still at the angry at everything  and everybody phase at the moment.

I'm sure it'll pass.

• Sorry Harebellle it is not a nice day for you today. Seeing everything in black and white does make it all the more real doesn’t it. 

You are right to be angry about the smoking comment. My husband is forever being told by doctors that he has a fatty liver because he drinks too much. The truth is he only has the odd drink at Christmas, birthdays and holidays and then never enough to get drunk. They assume these things, and they shouldn’t. 

Take each day one day at a time. It is understandable that you are angry with the world right now. You have every right to be. 

When I was diagnosed I went through a whole range of emotions. The first was guilt. I felt so guilty for hurting my family, that my disease was effecting the ones I love. Then I felt anger, which is a difficult emotion when you have no one to blame, or take that anger out on. I’m religious, and people would ask me, do I blame God, but the answer was always no, he is no more at fault than me for smoking! Then I felt grief for the life I was missing out on, for the life I once had. Now I am in the stage of acceptance. It takes a long time to get here, and not everyone does, but I can accept my life now is different, but it is still my life! And I enjoy the good days in my own way. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Chelle, re your husband there is a condition called non-alcoholic fatty liver, in the circumstances I would want to ask your husbands doctor if it would be appropriate to recode his condition. Though given your other experiences you may not feel it is worth it. 

Sarah 

• When I was pregnant with my daughter- over 4 decades back - the doctor at the hospital told me that if I carried on being vegetarian, [wasn't vegan then] my baby would be born deformed. The ignorance, not to mention the arrogance, was astounding. I asked if he'd studied under Galen? That shut him up and he never mentioned it again.  Rainie x

• I wonder , what he would have said if you were vegan at that time!

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • I don't think he would have known what a vegan was back then. Rainie x

• JoyJoy

Love life and family.