Getting nowhere

• 21 replies
  • 64 subscribers

I posted before two weeks ago when I heard that my bowel cancer has now spread to my lungs.  I was in with the consultant to hear how radio chemotherapy had worked on my bowel cancer only to be told that it’s spread to both lungs and given approx 2 years “statistically”.  

The whole meeting and bombshell news was around 10 mins and to be honest I couldn’t even take in the news let alone speak much.   I do remember asking the consultant what they would do if they were me and her saying she would go do everything she wanted to before starting palliative chemo.  I really didn’t want to start palliative chemo as on a previous chemo I had so many bad reactions, almost ending up dying twice in hospital so the thought of chemo immediately was a no no.  

The lack of preparation for the meeting on her part was dreadful.  Giving someone a terminal diagnosis with not one ounce of hope.  We were the ones who had to ask about trials and any other possible treatments and it was my husband who asked as we walked out, when the next scan would be and she said she would arrange one for 3 months.  

Since then we have paid for a private consultation with the Royal Marsden who said the information on my CT scan results showing lung nodules was insufficient and not detailed enough.  I discussed my chemo worries and generally felt much more informed than I had with my own consultant.  They stressed the importance that I should have a scan no later 6-8 weeks following my last scan showing the nodules to see how quickly they had grown in that time and I would be in a better position to make a decision on chemo and start quickly if so.

Unfortunately my oncologist refused another scan before the 3 months.  I have contacted the local hospital where I started my original bowel cancer journey to see if I can transfer back there as it’s much more convenient for me and I had a good relationship with the oncologist there.  They will also not do a scan saying it’s not necessary and to wait for my next 3 month scan.  Apparently my current oncologist also told them I did not want palliative chemo which is not really her business to say and surely I have the right to change my mind about things?

Obviously since the initial diagnosis meeting I have done lots of soul searching and despite not wanting to have chemo again, feel it’s my best chance of being with my family longer.  It is a huge thing I’m having to do here and it feels like I can’t get any professional NHS help.  I am struggling to get to see anyone again and discuss my questions, fears and feelings.  I do honestly feel abandoned and feel like they don’t actually care about me and my diagnosis    For the past 4 years I’ve had to push for scans, blood tests and operations and due to various delays, some understandable ie COVID, and others not ie hospital errors and delays.  I am so tired  of having to do this and need my strength to make decisions and keep well.  

I also think that if a new scan shows further growth that it will be the mental push I need to start chemo.   The reasons for no in between scan on the NHS is resources which breaks my heart. I have been told I am dying; have incurable cancer but still they don’t want to help me.

Sorry for the rant; I needed to get it out.    I am struggling mentally when usually I am so strong.   

thank you 

• Awwww - that is terrible.  Sending hugs.  You need to switch consultant don't you - who could work with this current one any more.  You don't need this negativity and fight with your treatment right now.  

I'm always amazed at how quick the CT scans are and there is never a long wait. Also, I discovered recently that there is another CT scanner in A&E.  My last scan on a Sat 5th March the radiographer was telling me she'd had so many no shows.    I'm not suggesting they are telling fibs when they say resources are limited.  Cancer treatment is not an exact science.  

• Thank you.  I think we are just going to have to pay for a scan but will ask about that.   
    take care 

• Hi HAC274 I'm sorry to hear your havinga tough time..  I remember the sister on the ward after my surgery saying to me don't fall through the net. Keep pushing for appointments . All my scans are 3 monthly. Are you on watch and wait, till scan results? Your oncologist doesn't sound like she has much empathy. Keep posting  and rant when ever you like. Sending hugs XX 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Omg I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Sounds horrible and really tough for you! Sending you lots of hugs and best wishes Heart

I'm sorry you have someone like that, she sounds awful. Don't know how they get their jobs sometimes, should be compassionate and kind, you don't need someone like that on top of everything else!

Please keep posting here, and remember to be kind to yourself. You are doing so well. And never be sorry for ranting. We are all here for you Yellow heart

Thinking of you!

Jess xx

• Thanks for your reply.  I do think I need to switch.  She doesn’t seem to have my best interests at heart.  

• I’ve had to push for everything since covid.  For the moment I’m not on any scan regime until I decide to start chemo.  I just want a scan soon to see if things have progressed quickly in 6 weeks.  

• Thanks Jess.  I just feel like they really don’t care. I’m 55 so hardly old and even then they should still care whatever age anyone is.    It’s stressful enough as you know without any added stress!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to HAC274

I'm so so sorry that they are making you feel this way xx Heart️ you are so right, you should be treated with kindness and care always no matter what age you are. This is the hardest and darkest times in our lives we need support. I'm sorry they aren't giving you any. I've had doctors and nurses like that, makes you feel real bad and adds a lot more unnecessary stress.

We are all here for you always. If you need to talk or vent we will listen and give you all the support and love in the world Xxx

Best wishes and hugs,

Jess xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi. I’m so sorry to hear that, I do understand though as I don’t feel very supported with my hospital either, or the oncologist. 
    Which hospital are you under?

Rant away!  We all need to sometimes. 
    I am starting to learn, that you have to do everything yourself. I’ve just rang CT dept to get my appt details. 

I hope you’re feeling better and get some clarification soon. I can’t believe they won’t do a scan sooner. That’s just crazy and so unsupportive 

Take care. Just going into my local cancer place for complimentary therapy. I don’t think it’s spelt that way Joy 

xxx 

• Hi Jane

It’s Poole Hospital.  I was at Bournemouth previously but transferred over when we needed Gynae involved in an op.  I preferred it there and want to transfer back.  Not sure how I do that.  

I have been offered some complimentary therapies and can’t wait to try them.  It should just what I need!