Getting nowhere

• 21 replies
  • 65 subscribers

I posted before two weeks ago when I heard that my bowel cancer has now spread to my lungs.  I was in with the consultant to hear how radio chemotherapy had worked on my bowel cancer only to be told that it’s spread to both lungs and given approx 2 years “statistically”.  

The whole meeting and bombshell news was around 10 mins and to be honest I couldn’t even take in the news let alone speak much.   I do remember asking the consultant what they would do if they were me and her saying she would go do everything she wanted to before starting palliative chemo.  I really didn’t want to start palliative chemo as on a previous chemo I had so many bad reactions, almost ending up dying twice in hospital so the thought of chemo immediately was a no no.  

The lack of preparation for the meeting on her part was dreadful.  Giving someone a terminal diagnosis with not one ounce of hope.  We were the ones who had to ask about trials and any other possible treatments and it was my husband who asked as we walked out, when the next scan would be and she said she would arrange one for 3 months.  

Since then we have paid for a private consultation with the Royal Marsden who said the information on my CT scan results showing lung nodules was insufficient and not detailed enough.  I discussed my chemo worries and generally felt much more informed than I had with my own consultant.  They stressed the importance that I should have a scan no later 6-8 weeks following my last scan showing the nodules to see how quickly they had grown in that time and I would be in a better position to make a decision on chemo and start quickly if so.

Unfortunately my oncologist refused another scan before the 3 months.  I have contacted the local hospital where I started my original bowel cancer journey to see if I can transfer back there as it’s much more convenient for me and I had a good relationship with the oncologist there.  They will also not do a scan saying it’s not necessary and to wait for my next 3 month scan.  Apparently my current oncologist also told them I did not want palliative chemo which is not really her business to say and surely I have the right to change my mind about things?

Obviously since the initial diagnosis meeting I have done lots of soul searching and despite not wanting to have chemo again, feel it’s my best chance of being with my family longer.  It is a huge thing I’m having to do here and it feels like I can’t get any professional NHS help.  I am struggling to get to see anyone again and discuss my questions, fears and feelings.  I do honestly feel abandoned and feel like they don’t actually care about me and my diagnosis    For the past 4 years I’ve had to push for scans, blood tests and operations and due to various delays, some understandable ie COVID, and others not ie hospital errors and delays.  I am so tired  of having to do this and need my strength to make decisions and keep well.  

I also think that if a new scan shows further growth that it will be the mental push I need to start chemo.   The reasons for no in between scan on the NHS is resources which breaks my heart. I have been told I am dying; have incurable cancer but still they don’t want to help me.

Sorry for the rant; I needed to get it out.    I am struggling mentally when usually I am so strong.   

thank you 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to HAC274

Hi 

Ok, I’m under Southampton..  I really wouldn’t know where to start trying to change back to the other hospital, but maybe you could call the dept where you started ?

Nothing to lose by calling them. 

I love them, had a lovely back massage today, I def needed it. I do Eden energy there, too. No idea how it if it works, but I enjoy it.

x

• Hi, I agree that sounds extremely stressful and gets deep.

However, please don't give up. May be you should talk to the radiologist also. What I learnt from my various CT scans that the technique behind is really complex and there are different phases which could give different information, especially about the lungs.

The standard procedure to follow up is 3 months, buut if you get such terrible diagnosis and not consistent data I would try to involve e.g. Macmillan for external support and also ask for a 2nd opinion at a different hospital. May be your health insurance supports this and can provide information.

I get really p***ed when doctors don't see me as indivudual person but only as statistic. And if they don't look deep into the data but decide too quickly about the potential treatment. Escalate and send involve doctors from different disciplines, I had good success with that. It's exhausting but don't give up.

Lots of hugs

• Hi Leonie

You have helped me no end.  I even had a tattoo yesterday saying “I am not a statistic” because I need to remind myself of that.  They seem to holding all the cards which means I have no choices in anything.  I will keep pushing x

• Hi Hac274, I was offered Holistic treatments from Macmillan, massage and reiki just after my incurable diagnosis, it did alot for me I always felt more relaxed and not as angry. Its worth a try. X

• Hello HAC274. My oncologist wouldn't give me chemo when I was too weak to be able to survive it. I wasn't expected to live and was sent home to 'spend time with my family'. Palliative care was arranged. But I didn't die. I got stronger and stronger and am currently Stable Mabel and doing a month long Abstract Painting Course. I too had a second opinion from the Royal Marsden, who were very helpful. But the scan at that time showed, to everyones surprise, 'no active disease', so although that ended my involvement with Royal Marsden, I was told I could go back any time and my case would be kept on their files.

I see you're in Dorset, so regular trips to London aren't really practical, but if I were you I would seriously think about another oncologist and start looking at trials for your cancer. If you do decide to go for the chemo, my advice would be to do it whilst you are strongest, as the option may be withdrawn if you become too poorly. It's a hard call to make I know. I wish you the very best and urge you not to give up.  Big hugs from Rainie x

• Hi HAC274, Welcome to where I know you don't want to be.

Now your tattoo is spot on. You are definitely NOT a statistic and you will be able to tell from this Group that the doctors etc don't know everything. If they did, there would not be as many of us here still living a long time after our predicted sell by date!

My advice would be to ask your GP to refer you to your local Hospice. My GP tried to talk me into going after my 5-7 month diagnosis but I told him in no uncertain terms "I'm not at that stage yet"!  I did eventually take his advice as I wanted to talk things through with someone who wasn't family or a friend. What I know now, I didn't know then, is a hospice is not just for dying. It is to show you how to make the best of the time you have and enjoy living without thinking of dying all the time, which is what I was doing at the time. They have Councillors, physiotherapist, Occupational Therapists, even alternative therapy. No matter what support you need, they have it and it always comes with tea or coffee and a chat with people in a similar situation!

That was many years ago now and how I wish I had known about it sooner. I was lucky and my oncologist got me on a Trial Drug that worked for me. They are developing new drugs for different cancer types every day. Never give up, chat to this group and you will learn how to LIVE with incurable cancer, as the tin says!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi

Ive been pushing and pushing and finally changed back to my original oncologist at Bournemouth hospital.  Her care and concern was amazing and she feels strongly that I’ve not been treated well in this last journey.  I’m having another scan within 2 weeks to check the growth rate and will then be able do discuss treatments moving forward.  She gave me so much more reasons to fight and treatment options that Poole Hospital never even mentioned.  I know I have a terminal diagnosis but for the first time since hearing the news, I have some hope now and a great oncologist on my side. 

• I am very happy for you. It made all your efforts worthwhile. 

• Brilliant.  I am really really pleased for you and to read the positives in your post.  Our relationships with our oncologists are really important and it's great to have one you feel you can trust.  

• Hi Ted

It really did.  I’ve had to push hard for every test scan and op so now I can concentrate on my well-being.  
    thank you