How to prepare mentally for a formal diagnosis that's likely to be bad?

• 13 replies
  • 26 subscribers

After a couple of weeks of xrays, ct scans, a lung flow test, a meeting with a Respiratory Consultant  (in which he said it was inoperable and spread to my bones) a bone biopsy and 5 sessions of radiotherapy, I finally have a date next week to meet with an Oncologist.

I presume its to tell me what type of LC I have and whether they think its treatable. Or not.

I know everybody says to remain positive and I try my hardest to be positive as I think it's important,  but I also think I need to be a bit realistic as well.

I think the fact that it's inoperable, it's spread to my bones AND I have a lot of pain, could mean that the prognosis isn't great and even though in my head imagine them saying 2- 5 years with treatment, my heart is telling me to be prepared for bad news.

The realist in me is to be prepared for another major shock of them saying  'months'

I reacted badly when I had my appointment  with the RC when he told me "it's not good news". 

I'm  usually a calm, composed person, but I  started crying and didn't stop blubbing for two days. My partner says I was even crying in my sleep!

I'm worried at how l will  cope with further bad news. I'm also worried my partner will take it badly. I insisted on going in on my own the first time. but he wants to come in with me this time.

How can I mentally prepare myself ? And him? (Big ask)

Amd sorry to post such a depressing topic on such a lovely sunny day. Xxx

• I,wish,you both strength on the day.. Despite my misdiagnosis, I eventually accepted that theres nothing I can do so I worked hard on acceptance was part of my coping mechanism. Its.incredibly hard but.what choice is there?. The timescales don't always mean anything, though I never asked for one. 

• I always thought I would want to know.  I'm sure I will eventually.  But not yet.

• I agree with Tony73 there's no way of being ok with this. But... when I had the news it rocked this normally chilled kiwis world too. What made me more able to cope was talking to my amazing oncologist and hearing that there was a plan of drugs to try to not cure me but stem the flow and give me as long as possible. 

That at least stopped the complete free fall feeling.

• Got an appointment follow up scan on Tues so we'll see if I can practice what I preach. May we all find reserves of strength and bravery we never knew existed in ourselves x
  • Great words of advice , as usual.

Am so pleased I found this place.xxxxxxx

• Hey harebelle,  I think that we all prepare ourselves to some extent every time a scan rolls round. I think you keep a bit of yourself in reserve 'just in case'. I know I do. As Tony says, none of us have a choice but to accept whatever news there is, but I know that I wanted to get some idea when I first had my diagnosis/prognosis because I wanted to get things prepared, both practically speaking and in my mind. Just how would I deal with this? I didn't want to run out of time before I sorted things out. We're all different, but I was the sort that wanted and needed to know everything. Now with hindsight, I'm still here and currently Stable Mabel, but back then I had no way of knowing that things would pan out as they did. So making myself get a better handle on everything, in retrospect has given me a lot of peace of mind. Thinking of you. Hugs, Rainie x

• Hi @Harebelle,

As others have said, there is no easy answer. Every time I have a scan result, I wait with trepidation, and " hope for the best, prepare for the worst" is about it. And remember, bad news does not have to mean the end is in sight . I am 4.5 years into this incurable lark, and so far still treatable although 4 regimes in. I too am due scan next week, as it will likely show a new site of disease ( as had bone scan about 4 weeks ago which showed up a new area )  This Ct scan will be compared to last to see if any changes there. So in about 3 weeks, I will be feeling like you. In the meantime and until the day itself, I am determined to live just for today and do what I can to have a nice time. I have never asked for prognosis, but I do know some of the stats and I judge things by how I feel and my own sense of my body. 2 weeks without treatment, let me decide that my crap days are mainly a result of chemo, and my underlying state is mainly ok. Who needs prognosis when it is such an unreliable method - plenty of people heere well best theirs. Good luck whatever,

• Hi - it sounds from your first paragraph that this is your first meeting with oncology?  If so, I wouldn't see it as a negative thing at all.  The oncologist will advise treatment options going forwards. 
    I really like going to see my oncologist even though right right now we're potentially one cycle away from my current treatment being withdrawn.  I get updates, see the scan pics, learn what he is thinking about the way forwards, the options, and the triggers for each decision.   The triggers (thresholds) help me prepare when/if it goes awry.  So the bad news is less likely to have a big impact. "We've got to stay friends for a few more years yet" I told him on Tues.  He laughed. Laughing  And yes, he does tell me things I don't want to hear.  But he also tells me the positives, and the data on which it is all based.  He also answers every one of my Qs and does everything he says he will do.  Also, just talking face-to-face, after lockdowns, makes me feel like a person, engaged, and not just a number.   It's a really important relationship and vital to build a trusting relationship with oncology.

• Looks like I'm still allowed in the stable mable club for now. Big exhale... for the next 3 months at least. Maybe I'll get lackadaisical. Hmmm probably not. Big girl knickers washed, dried and put back in the draw. I hope the same for you all.

• I now have a treatment plan, but I forgot to ask a really important question.

Does chemotherapy help with pain?  I don't see the point of going through with it if it doesn't!

• Well, all the normal caveats apply of asking joe public a medical question . . . . .  BUT from my armchair understanding, chemo is a treatment designed to kill cancer cells (and as it can't detect good cells from bad cells, non-cancer cells may be impacted too).  It is not an objective of chemo to reduce pain.  It's to stop or reduce the cancer growth.  

I think you should get back in touch with your consultant with this question.  It's fundamental and this forum is not fit-for-purpose to respond.